Eating out in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hintermann

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Being on my own and not liking doing my own cooking, I am pretty sure that breakfast is going to be the only meal that I'll fix for myself during my week in Bonaire in May. It therefore follows that I have to eat out; I am pretty sure I'll manage with sandwiches or similar for a quick lunch but I'd like something a bit more substantial for dinner. The problem is that (no offence meant) in most Caribbean destinations that I have been to - including liveaboards - the food tended to be rather over-rich and greasy from European standards.

May I ask for advice on a couple of restaurants that serve lightweight meals (low-cal if possible)

You can ask for plain grilled fish, omitting any sauce, in just about any of the restaurants that cater to visitors. Much of the time, my wife and I find ourselves doing just this. Is there something in particular you have in mind? What would your ideal dinner look like?

Don't miss the Kite City food truck. Tell them what you're looking for and I'm sure they'll come up with something.

Perhaps start by trying Gogreen and It Rains Fishes.
Bonaire has quite a few restaurants that cook to European tastes.

Four seasons is very Dutch, Capriccio is very Italian and At Sea is very big city USA. None are your typical tourist foods.

It Rains Fishes would be my suggestion also. They do all sorts of "lighter" preparations with all sorts of sauces ranging from garlic oil, bsil pesto, white wine etc. to creamier. Not the cheapest though but worth the price IMO. It Rains Fishes Bonaire

For lunch there's a Subway. :D

Subway - Bonaire

Thanks people, that was very helpful. Lorenzoid, I do not have anything particular in mind and am flexible in my tastes. It is just that I don't like food being too 'rich' or oily. I generally avoid anything fried.

At Sea, It Rains Fishes, Zeezicht ("sea view") and no doubt others that serve fish will omit the sauce and serve you just a plain grilled fillet if you request it. As for Italian places, I would be skeptical of their ability to produce a low calorie dish, given that most dishes are heavy on the pasta.

My wife and I love good food, and we budget our calories according to just how good we can expect the food to be. If it's Michelin star-worthy or noteworthy regional food (as in Mexico), we'll gladly open up the calorie allotment to the hilt. But we have found no dinner place on Bonaire that serves food so impressive. Most of it is good but nothing that can't be found in cities around the world. So while we enjoy a little experimentation in Bonaire (we'll seek out the goat stew and pastechis when out and about for lunch), we inevitably find ourselves ordering plain grilled fish for dinners in town.

I would definitely say that Capriccio's and Cactus Blue fall into the "worth the calories" categories. Not that I have tried everywhere, only been to Bonaire twice (so far?). I would recommend the grill combo at Plazita Limena though, very nice and light and you will have leftovers for the next day especially if you are going solo.

I was serious about the food truck. Probably the best prepared fish meals I've ever had. Too bad they had to change locations and their set-up a bit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom