Eco Dive Center customer (don't) care????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Empty V:
What is the point of limiting the BT for the divers? Mike I swear I'm no following you :D

Billy

I don't think it so much as limiting BT's for divers as it is a consideration for others on the boat.

For example, let's assume the gate opens at 8:00am and all but 1 team of divers enters the water right after the gate opens, but the other team has coffee, relaxes and then doesn't get into the water until 9:15am. If that team does a 1 hour dive you'll have spent 2 hours and 15 minutes at one site. By the time the skipper pulls anchor and looks for another spot you've pretty much limited the amount of spots you can go to or the amount of dives you can do.

By establishing a time whereby all divers need to be back on the boat, you limit the possibility that one team can hold back the entire boat. If you don't mind doing shorter dives then by all means go in later, but if you want to do hour+ dives, then try to be the 1st team in.

It's more about courtesy, then about limiting anyone's BT's.

Hope that helps.

Empty V:
I have yet to be on a boat where the divers were that inconsiderate. I'm not the most experienced diver out there, but all the trips that I have been on, everyone has jumped in when the boat anchored. That seems like the better way to go.

Billy

I gave up DMing local trips a long time ago, but trust me when I tell you that it happens all the time. Generally speaking the difference between getting 4 dives a day versus 3 dives a day, is won and lost by setting some type of return to the boat time.

Regards,

Speaking as a "small shop owner" myself (mostly it's just my wife & me, unless we're busy) I can't understand the attitude of the shop mentioned. First of all, if they don't dispute that the advertised price WAS $65, they have no ethical way to refuse that price. In my case, even if I'm pretty sure that the customer has made a mistake (like whether rental gear is included or not, for example) I'll HAPPILY include it for free. For a small shop, essentially working without any travel agents, it's essential to keep the customers happy, and keep them coming back. The few dollars I might be able to squeeze out of someone in a dispute of this nature (when there's a full moon, I grow fangs, so I might be kind of scary then, ha ha) will never make up for the permanent (most likely) loss of that customer, and the loss of any potential customers who might come here based on that person's recommendation.

One thing that might possibly be relevant is in dealing with the shop mentioned, a retail worker or cashier or whatever might not feel he/she has the authority to give the refund.....so it might help to talk to the owner. I can't remember if that's been done already in this case.... Often a business "owner" is more concerned with keeping customers than is the employee (but not always.)

MHK:
I gave up DMing local trips a long time ago, but trust me when I tell you that it happens all the time. Generally speaking the difference between getting 4 dives a day versus 3 dives a day, is won and lost by setting some type of return to the boat time.

Regards,

I am all for a "be back on the boat" time BUT!!!!! You better make sure my tank has some air in it BEFORE we get to the next sight. I missed TWO dives on the Escape last month because they didnt fill my tanks in time and the gate closed before I could even get in the water. Hope all those Japanese spearfisherman tipped well to get their tanks filled first, even the ones that got on the boat AFTER me. That was my last Great Mistake dive trip.

Now back your regularly scheduled thread...

Terry, from San Diego. Mission Valley Look for the big ugly truck.

Empty V:
I've also heard from a very reliable source that Eco has a rep for stealing beer from captains and completely flaking on full charters.
Billy

You're accusing the dive shop of stealing beer from charter captains? That seems a little far-fetched.

Marc

SeekNCritters:
I felt compelled to respond on this thread

I’m not embarrassed or ashamed to reveal my name. I just thought it was more customary for people to not sign their “real” names. I’ll tell you a bit about myself so as to eliminate any doubt as to my “prejudices &/or loyalties which may be framing [my] thoughts” (if anyone really cares). So if you’re interested, here goes… ...
-Dana

But for this, I would not have known who you were ... and now I can tease you at the next club meeting.

MHK:
I don't think it so much as limiting BT's for divers as it is a consideration for others on the boat.

For example, let's assume the gate opens at 8:00am and all but 1 team of divers enters the water right after the gate opens, but the other team has coffee, relaxes and then doesn't get into the water until 9:15am. If that team does a 1 hour dive you'll have spent 2 hours and 15 minutes at one site. By the time the skipper pulls anchor and looks for another spot you've pretty much limited the amount of spots you can go to or the amount of dives you can do.

By establishing a time whereby all divers need to be back on the boat, you limit the possibility that one team can hold back the entire boat. If you don't mind doing shorter dives then by all means go in later, but if you want to do hour+ dives, then try to be the 1st team in.

It's more about courtesy, then about limiting anyone's BT's.

Hope that helps.

You don't have to limit BT just have a limit on open gate time. Everytime I go in the Spectre we get in 4 dives & they don't limit BT's.

Happy Diving
John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom