Ecological debate on the sustainability of whaling.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cdiver2:
is not every country would go along with it.
Also why is it WE feel we have to support every self employed person that may lose there business (read fishermen & LDS owners). Thousands of people lose there jobs every day, every time a auto manufacture closes a plant there are thousands out of work.

If you are self employed part of your plan should be preparing for the future, if you don't its your problem not ours.

I see your points, there are always arguments both way. I'm not sure I conveyed some details of my suggested solution accurately.

First, there is no hope of a safe whale unless every country every people agrees ... so no plan long term can be successful to this level unless at some point the plan sees this outcome. As for the nature of the problem of supply and demand ... any plan to support folks in this industry would be frocked (spelling) with challenges, no question. The key is identifying who qualifies, setting up financial assistance for them to switch careers (note, I'm not suggesting feed a man a fish, but teach a man to fish, as the saying goes) so funding would likely take the form of supplimental support while being educated. Not everyone would qualify ... it might even have to take into account, business ownership, and other incomes in the family, or other suplimentary support. This type of thing is not without precedence either when gov't steps in and changes laws which eliminates business they often offer support in helping people get back on their feet (within limits). Clearly fisherman losing their business are among many types of workers who don't have "money socked away", so I disagree with your comments here.

Additionally, the fishermen are not the end of the problem or even the start, which is why my suggestions covered other parts of the problem as well. Thanks for your thoughts too.

DiverBuoy:
I see your points, there are always arguments both way. I'm not sure I conveyed some details of my suggested solution accurately.

First, there is no hope of a safe whale unless every country every people agrees ... so no plan long term can be successful to this level unless at some point the plan sees this outcome. As for the nature of the problem of supply and demand ... any plan to support folks in this industry would be frocked (spelling) with challenges, no question. The key is identifying who qualifies, setting up financial assistance for them to switch careers (note, I'm not suggesting feed a man a fish, but teach a man to fish, as the saying goes) so funding would likely take the form of supplimental support while being educated. Not everyone would qualify ... it might even have to take into account, business ownership, and other incomes in the family, or other suplimentary support. This type of thing is not without precedence either when gov't steps in and changes laws which eliminates business they often offer support in helping people get back on their feet (within limits). Clearly fisherman losing their business are among many types of workers who don't have "money socked away", so I disagree with your comments here.

Additionally, the fishermen are not the end of the problem or even the start, which is why my suggestions covered other parts of the problem as well. Thanks for your thoughts too.

Unfortunately TOS will not let me state what my research has led me to conclude on this subject. PM on it's way shortly

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom