Edmund Fitzgerald

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
If we let "them" they will outlaw everything except paying taxes! I have dived the Lady Elgin which was one of the Great Lakes worst as far as loss of life (something like 380 people).

Yup, they will. All for a few votes.

If they ban visiting of wrecks because it is a grave site perhaps what folks do a Arlington etc is "immoral" I don't think so!!! we all visit grave yards it honors the dead to remember their loss. Our actions while there should be the subject of legislation, however. Leave it just like you found it and bubbles to mark your passing.

If they ban visiting of wrecks because it is a grave site perhaps what folks do a Arlington etc is "immoral" I don't think so!!!

Since I live in Arlington, I would be homeless! Anyone who lives near cool wrecks need a roommate?

:wink:

I know this has probably been covered before, but, my question is that if there are bodies there, in a good state of preservation, Why would the families not want the bodies recovered so that they can be given a proper burial?
I know that if it were a member of MY family, I would be doing all I could to ensure that the body was recovered so that he/she could be placed in a proper cemetary with proper honours and ensuring that the remains would not be disturbed.
The edmund fitzgerald was an ore carrier, it should not be viewed as a mausoleum

IMHO
:peace:

I agree completely canuckdiver.

Tom

canuckdiver once bubbled...
I know this has probably been covered before, but, my question is that if there are bodies there, in a good state of preservation, Why would the families not want the bodies recovered so that they can be given a proper burial?
I know that if it were a member of MY family, I would be doing all I could to ensure that the body was recovered so that he/she could be placed in a proper cemetary with proper honours and ensuring that the remains would not be disturbed.
The edmund fitzgerald was an ore carrier, it should not be viewed as a mausoleum

IMHO
:peace:

Just a couple of points...

First, IMO diving to that depth and then following up with a penetration is too dangerous for a body retrieval. I don't know if you could get someone to do the retrieval (I couldn't and wouldn't)

Second, they are sailors. They are properly buried (at sea) by tradition. So I guess that she is a mausoleum as well as an ore carrier.

Catch you later.

First, IMO diving to that depth and then following up with a penetration is too dangerous for a body retrieval. I don't know if you could get someone to do the retrieval (I couldn't and wouldn't)

Likely true with today's technology but still the diver's choice. Also, one body was noted in the sand off the bow. To my knowledge they never tried for even that one (I believe an ROV found him).

Second, they are sailors. They are properly buried (at sea) by tradition. So I guess that she is a mausoleum as well as an ore carrier.

Agrreed on the first part but not the second. She's a wreck, not a mausoleum, and should be treated as such.

Tom

Well; if I'm going to "agree to disagree" with anyone - I'm pleased to do it with you.

Actually, I don't have a problem visiting mausolems or cemetaries. I love visiting Gettysberg and other battlefields. I have visitied acheological sites as well.

The key point for me is that divers treat human remains with respect and decency. Mark and report at a minimum - recover if you are trained for it.

I'm not looking for remains nor am I keen on encountering them - but they are a fact of life in the diving I want to do (but am not doing yet!)

I hope that I handle it well as you and the more experienced divers on the board.

Back
Top Bottom