Eel bite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
:confused:

OK here it goes during lobster pre-season I went to grab a lobster w/ my right hand. I guess I got to close to the coral and was struck by I'm assuming an eel. It didn't latch on & I never saw it because it stired up the sand. I had thought I just bumped the coral even though it hurt. when I got to the surface I thought I just had scratches on my arm but on closer review there where teeth marks in lower & upper & the next day it was bruised. My question is, 2 weeks later, could there be teeth particles under the skin or something else because now i have little red bumps on my arm.

Going back to the keys tonight, hope to get lobsters. Happy diving!!!!

buffettbabefl said...

My question is, 2 weeks later, could there be teeth particles under the skin or something else because now i have little red bumps on my arm.

Howdy buffettbabefl:

Lots of marine creatures leave bits of themselves behind when you come in contact with them. This seems particularly true of coral. The body reacts to the material left under the skin by dilating blood vessels, building a "wall" of hard tissue around the material, and trying to destroy or expel the material with an inflammatory response. This "foreign body reaction" often leads to a red, hard, itchy, and sometimes painful bump (or bumps).

I've seen lots of remedies suggested, but haven't heard of consistent results. Some suggest soaking the affected area in vinegar (some say warm vinegar) presumably to try to dissolve any minerals left behind. Dunno how well that could work. Topical steroid or antihistamine creams or ointments are often suggested, but some experts say they don't do anything. Steroid injections into the bumps might help the symptoms, but I don't know if they'd address the problem of the foreign material. Surgical removal of foreign bodies frequently comes up, but it's really only practical for larger foreign bodies and is rather extreme for tiny bits IMHO. Cougar recently shared on the board the idea of using a commercial hot wax hair removal treatment to remove any pieces still protruding from the skin.

People who sustain marine creature injuries with significant initial or persistent symptoms should consider evaluation by a physician knowledgeable in those injuries.

HTH,

Bill

The above information is intended for discussion purposes only and is not meant as specific medical advice for any individual.

Back
Top Bottom