EF-S 18-55 MM IS -- OK for Macro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter Guy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
When the new Rebel is released I will be getting it to replace my "ancient" Digital Rebel. The new one comes with the Canon 18-55mm IS (f/3.5-5.6) kit lens.

In the latest Pop Photography the lens is reviewed with the following comment:

"Maximum magnification ratios at the uniform close-focusing distance of approximately 9 inches ranged from 1:7.13 at 18mm to a powerful 1:2.53 at 55 mm."

It says "it isn't designated as a macro, but...it could be."

IF after I buy it I break down and get a housing, is it likely this lens would work as a reasonable beginner's macro lens?

don't bother with the kit lens.

spend the extra money on the $80 50mm prime f1.8 lens. It's cheap, but very fast and takes great low light photos without a flash (assuming target is still).

kit lenses are usually not worth fussing with.

This is actually one of the "good" kit lenses, so if you want it, go for it. You will be able to use this lens underwater...you will need a dome port. It is not an ideal lens for underwater and you will end up adding lenses and probably not using this one much in the not too distant future.

Honestly, I'd skip this lens and put the difference in cost towards a lens I really wanted.

For UW:
Canon 60mm macro first - this requires a flat port and is the cheapest option

For land and UW:
Sigma 17-70 macro - this needs a dome port. This lens is tremendous value and it a stellar performance both above and below the water.

For land - walk around do anything if the Sigma above isn't enough reach for you:
Sigma 18-200 OS

There is a list of popular and useful lenses for uw work in the Sticky (at the top of UW Photography or via the Pink Link in my sig) that may help as you decide on your purchases.

Alcina, thanks.

I already have the 50 mm f1.8 lens and the 80-200 f4 L lens for my "ancient" Rebel. I love the L lens for horse shows and the 50 is great for indoor work.

IF I do decide to house it, I'm thinking of starting with a Fantasea housing (assuming they will make one for the new Rebel) which would probably come with a port for the kit lens. So many toys, so little time.

Peter,

Don't discount this new version 18-55mm EF-S IS lens. I have made publishable pictures with the previous kit version at f6.3 - 8 in the middle range where that lens was actually pretty good.

Read the test reports of the new lens. It is being compared to the $900.00 Canon 17-55mm IS lens! I bought one right away and it a sweet little lens. Remember on a cropped sensor Canon body (1.6X) this lens will basically be a 28.8 - 88mm range. A "tweener" lens being moderate wide angle and moderate telephoto.....It ISN'T a true macro approaching like the review states just under a 1:3 ratio. So if you consider macro finding stuff maybe at least 3" - 5" long then it will do an OK job. But for going down on a dive where you want to shoot fish and maybe some medium diver shots it will work fine. Just don't expect frame filling close ups of a 1" Nudibranch :)

It is a tad longer, physically, than the previous lens so you must get the correct extended dome port or extension for an 8" dome port. But the lens focusses to 10" so no diopter is required.

I have no idea why people recommend a fixed 50mm f1.8 for underwater since it will be a 80mm and not even a macro. Plus I think it only focusses to 18 inches or ????

Good luck!

dhaas

David Haas Underwater Photography

I have no idea why people recommend a fixed 50mm f1.8 for underwater since it will be a 80mm and not even a macro. Plus I think it only focusses to 18 inches or ????
Good luck!
dhaas

Thank you...I could never figure it out either!

Get the right tool for the job, I say.

Thanks everyone.

When I get the new camera I will get the kit lens with it.

IF I end up housing it, I'm sure I'll start with whatever lenses I have and then, after a dive or two when I realize that I've missed "that" shot because of the wrong lens, I'll bit the bullet and get a real macro (60mm?) lens and appropriate port.

And so it goes.

Peter, I bought a 40D a month or so ago. I bought the body and the new version of the 18-55 lens. My wife and I spent a week at CoCoView Roatan in and had a great time with the camera. The lens produced some excellent photos under and above the water line.

Some day I am going to add a 18-200 zoom for above water but that one is waiting as we are going to Bonaire in May and I will be taking Alcina's advice and adding the 60mm macro to my equipment. We have some great shots with the 18-55 but you just can't get down on a Christmas tree worm or a cool goby or a peterson cleaner shrimp without the macro.

IMHO the kit lens 18-55mm is actually a neat little lens especially for medium size fish shots. As mentioned its not a true macro but its still a very handy lens, I have'nt used it behind a dome port but have had good results using the same port as I use with my
50mm Sigma macro.

IMG_0873-1.jpg

18-55mm

T
For land and UW:
Sigma 17-70 macro - this needs a dome port. This lens is tremendous value and it a stellar performance both above and below the water.

I second this - I'd probably go for this over the 18-55, I've been playing with it a lot (above water only, I admit and I find it VERY versatile.

I went for a 100mm macro and 10-22mm wa for underwater - I don't think I could go to a 60 after the 100mm (I really like macro) and I'm going to be forking out for the Woodys diopter...

Z...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom