Effect of Hot Fills on Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hear this quite frequently. Individuals overfill frequently, assume it will not pass hydro and spin it off a year or two before hydro.

oxyhacker:
Trying 3 times is illegal and pretty much defeats the whole purpose of the hydrotest, so maybe you were lucky it didn't pass in the end.

However if he wasn't aware of the fact, or didn't care, I got to wonder if maybe he also didn't know how to properly hydro an HP in the first place.

BTW, did they have your permission to destroy it? If they didn't, they had no business doing so.
He tried again as a favor, since he knew I was going to be really disappointed if it didn't pass.

He definitely knows what he's doing... we even discussed the special procedures PST recommends for it's tanks.

They had my permisison to destroy it. A dead tank planter, bell, or other suggestions from the thread on what do to do with dead tanks, doesn't work well for me, as my condo is not all that big, and I don't have a yard...

Leadking:
I hear this quite frequently. Individuals overfill frequently, assume it will not pass hydro and spin it off a year or two before hydro.

Like I mentioned, that's what I am told, too. Maybe, that is the reason why we can see many used HP or LP tanks' deals from FL.......:popcorn:

hoosier:
Like I mentioned, that's what I am told, too. Maybe, that is the reason why we can see many used HP or LP tanks' deals from FL.......:popcorn:
Hey guys, I live in cave country and cave dive a couple of times a week. I've never seen or heard of this practice. Anyway, any of you suckers from the North want to buy a set of LP's..........:popcorn: Only 5 years old:rofl3: They need a hydro:mooner:

My 10 year old PST HP120 failed hydro miserably. Frequent hot fills on the island were blamed even by the manager of the dive shop that filled it back then (no more though).

those who know what they are really worth has Faber LP steel tanks

drbill:
My 10 year old PST HP120 failed hydro miserably. Frequent hot fills on the island were blamed even by the manager of the dive shop that filled it back then (no more though).

Failed because of rust & pitting? If so, were those hot fills also "moist"? I ask because I'm trying to avoid pitfalls with a new steel tank. I suppose the annual visual will reveal whether the hot fills have spewed any goo or moisture into the cylinder.

drbill:
Frequent hot fills, or frequent over-fills?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom