Egg ID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelpmermaid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I saw something new today, diving locally off of Palos Verdes. On a few rocks, I noticed what appeared to be eggs laid in an orderly fashion. They looked like white pumpkin or watermelon seeds. I saw them in more than one location. Does anyone have any idea what id could have been?

Did they look like the attached picture? If so they are Kellet whelk eggs. They are having the time of their lives now (asnd for the past few weeks), forming mating aggregations up to about 20 and laying clusters of those capsules.

Each one is actually a capsule containing up to 1,000 individual eggs.

I was in the Park today and found eight whelks mating at 75 feet and got some really nice video of them with my new light. Haven't created any stills yet from that footage and all my others are on another computer at this moment so these are the only pix I have.

Dr. Bill

That's it! Thanks, Dr. Bill! Thinking about it, I even said on the ride back to the dock that I had noticed a lot of them. I think I saw more Kellet's whelks yesterday than I ever have in total. Of course, it could be that I just took more notice of the "hidden" and smaller things because the viz wasn't good.

PS. Was that your shot of "dueling sheepheads" in CDN? What a display of teeth!

Didn't know the species, but I've been seeing those things everywhere the past couple of weeks.

Yes, it is time for this species' annual orgy. I've been seeing them all over Catalina the past month or two. Since they will be the subject of one of my upcoming newspaper columns, here's a collage showing an adult, whelk feeding on Tegula, whelks mating and a whelk laying egg capsules.

Dr. Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom