Egg Spirals ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The similar picture in the book is of Diamondback Squid, Thysanoteuthis rhombus. The text explains that many squids of open ocean have a similar reproductive strategy (unlike inshore squid who attach their eggs to rocks).

Great!
Thanks for the research; I've added another little back-pocket wonder to my "lets go find one" list. :)
Rick

Here is a second idea maybe to look into, could be right could be wrong, I dont have any photos, but many frogfish species produce a very large coil of eggs that unfolds at the surface to look like a long tube of eggs as in your picture. It floats along with flotsam jestam until hatching, much the same way open ocean squid do. Does some body have more info on the frogfish egg coils to compare? Would love to know

Might be a little late in the thread but I don't think it's a squid egg mass simply because of the shape and size of each individual. Will check with a mate who's a squid guru. I thought it might be a salp when I first saw the photos but those 'individual' bits make me think otherwise...watch this space.
E*

Back
Top Bottom