Egypt concern ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaHound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I want to go to Egypt to dive Thistlegorm as the trip is very cheap from where I live but a friend told me that as a tourist I will end up paying 3 times more on everything because everyone from the cab driver to the tour guide and desk clerk at the hotel will try to rob you. They over-quote everything to foreigners and you end up paying thrice more than what you calculate from the internet.

Is this just one guys experience or should this actually be a concern? Anyone had similar experiences?

I think in any country like Egypt, there will always be locals trying to take advantage of us 'rich' tourists. If you know what you should be paying, then haggle with them until you get the price you want. When I went to leave Dahab the other week, I was traveling by myself back up to Taba. I new I was going to get raped on the taxi fare, but I had some time to kill. I bartered with them for about 30min to get the price down from 500EP to 200EP. I am not sure if that was a good price of not, but the ride down that I split with five other people cost 50EP per head. So I guess you can say I got a decent deal.

Just do your research, and never accept the first price.

Most things in Egypt are more expensive for foreigners, and that includes visits to tourist sites as well as cab rides, etc. Some additions are official (like bus tickets), but the vast majority are simply tagged on by people trying to make a bit extra. The best way to save yourself any extra hassle is for you to stay at a reputable place where the people won't rip you off, and they are usually more than willing to help you arrange the rest of your trip. These forums are full of good suggestions for places to go, but if you need any more help just holler.

Oh and DJkpsu's advice is always sound: never accept the first price. :wink:

That's right - you have to bargain there. But it's also worth remembering that majority of Egyptians live off 15 US$ per month - taxi drivers in most of the cases are not owners of the taxis - only drivers.
This is why I bargain only to the certain point - money I want to pay...
Mania

Watch out for the "staff" at the airport who display kindly concern about your luggage, then take it off the conveyor belt and demand a large tip.

Always negotiate the price ahead of time (like taxis). If one driver is asking an unreasonable price, you can always wait for the next one and chances are, he'll give you a better deal - even crooks need to make money.

Rule is, if you don't need anything and someone offers, tell them to GET LOST very firmly and assertively.

... and bring your own toilet paper to the airport. There'll be toilets there, but no paper. And some Egyptian selling tissues at a dollar a piece. :11:

ArthurGerla:
... and bring your own toilet paper to the airport. There'll be toilets there, but no paper. And some Egyptian selling tissues at a dollar a piece. :11:

Welcome to Egypt :D

SeaHound:
I want to go to Egypt to dive Thistlegorm as the trip is very cheap from where I live but a friend told me that as a tourist I will end up paying 3 times more on everything because everyone from the cab driver to the tour guide and desk clerk at the hotel will try to rob you. They over-quote everything to foreigners and you end up paying thrice more than what you calculate from the internet.

Is this just one guys experience or should this actually be a concern? Anyone had similar experiences?

So that you understand. You will pay more than locals, how much more depends on how much you're willing to haggle . But it's actually the policy of Egypt-Air ( the national airline) to charge foreigners more than Egyptians. I'm Egyptian but because I was holding foreign passport, I paid the Non-Egyptian rate.
Bear in mind, even if you pay three times the rate......it's still very cheep.

It might be cheap for you guys. I will be coming from Pakistan so my currency will not turn into gold yours. I will be fighting with everyone for every single penny :) Itll be fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom