Egypt in August: bad idea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Khoujo1

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey everyone. We are debating a trip to Egypt to dive the Red Sea, somewhere like Hurghada. Our schedule would put us there in August, and I’m concerned it will be miserably hot when above water. Anyone have experience visiting during this time of year? Advice? Thanks!

I've been to Egypt several times during the summer months. It's dry heat, so more bearable than high humidity environments. No, I wouldn't go for a long walk in the middle of the day and yes, you want aircon in your room, but otherwise it's fine. That said, I like it hot, you may not!

It's dry heat, so more bearable than high humidity environments.

Dry heat in the interior maybe. The coast is brutal in the summer months. Can it be done, sure. Will you be miserable, that depends on your tolerance for heat and humidity.

Dry heat in the interior maybe. The coast is brutal in the summer months. Can it be done, sure. Will you be miserable, that depends on your tolerance for heat and humidity.

South Pacific islands are around 80% humidity. Hurghada is around 50%. Walk in the park.

I did Sharm el-Sheikh a couple years back in beginning of August, it was quite hot at the surface and a bathtub in the water.

But I found it manageable, significantly easier than Summer in say Montreal where you’re drenched in sweat walking around.

I’d do it again!

I would go but won't hang out in the sun during the day. Go diving and come back to an A/C room. Perhaps a dip in the pool if needed. I do this even in winter, just dive, sleep, eat and putz with camera and dive equipment in A/C room.

I have been regularly going to Egypt during July or August for the past ten years. We are a family of four from the UK, for us it has offered the best diving for the kids during summer holidays without travelling too far. Heading back again this year in August.

We really haven't found it too bad. In all the tourist hotels AC is very good, so whenever you are inside it is cool. To give you an idea on how we find the temperature; if we have breakfast before 8am we normally sit outside in the shade, later than that we would probably eat indoors with aircon, then lunch inside and dinner outside. If I go for a run I am out at 6am as it gets too hot otherwise. There are a few hours (maybe 12-3) in the middle of the day when you really notice the heat if you are walking about in the open, but if you sit in the shade by the pool it is fine. There is often a gentle breeze so that helps to keeps things cool.

If you are regularly in the water either diving, snorkelling or in the pool then I wouldn't worry about the heat, get up early and take a nap in the room after lunch if you want to miss the hot part of the day. It stays warm into the evening so you can sit around the pool until sunset.

On a liveaboard (or a day boat) I have never noticed the heat at all, and it is great to get out of the water after a night dive and feel warm.

Personally I wouldn't do an inland tour at this time of year as I think it could be way to hot to enjoy the sites, although whenever you were inside it would probably be fine.

I was about to add a comment about being safer in Hurghada than the US, but see that someone has beaten me too it.

Thanks for the comments everyone! Any favorite Liveaboards?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom