Egypt - Marsa Alam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In Marsa they bus you to where the dive boats are. This takes about 15 minutes. I suppose they have to pay for the bus, the driver and fuel. When you get to the boat you are taken there by rib. Again a further expense. I never felt that I was getting ripped off and thoroughly enjoyed the diving. If you compare Marsa prices to USA prices then it is a bargain.

David

jaak:
Hi!

We're planning a trip to Egipt in November but as we've already been to Sharm and Hurghada we would like to take on something new. So came up with this fairly new place called Marsa Alam.
The question is - has anyone been diving there? Is it worth the trip and could you recommend some divingcenter there?

Thanks,

Jaak

Jaak,

I haven't been yet, but have heard only good things about the Marsa Shagra Tent Camp; I am going in October for 10 days; and it sounds like a superb diving holiday.

We have unlimited shore diving, and 2 boat/jeep trips per day to other dive sites. All food and non alcoholoic drink is also included.

The only down side I have heard of, is if you are with someone who wants to sight see, then there is nearly nothing to do.... So DIVE!

Paul

We had a couple of days from diving and went to Luxor to see Karnak and Luxor Temples and the Valley of the Kings. Words cannot describe them. It is a 6 hour bus journey to get to Luxor from Marsa so if you are only there for one week I would not recommend it.

David

I stayed at the Kahramana in December, 2000. Diving was done at the tent camp next door (I think it was Marsa Shagra). The camp looked pretty nice. There is a nice reef right in front of the camp. You will see mostly hard corals and healthy reef fish populations.

For boat diving we would board a zodiak which would take us to the main boat. I'm not sure if they have a jetty yet. Diving was with Pioneer Divers/Red Sea Diving Safari. They gave my goup briefings in English and French.

One word about Elphinstone- amazing. I've been to Ras Mohammed (recently and 10+ years ago) and believe me, Elphinstone is better.

jaak:
Thanks. Why is it that the south is more expensive than Sharm and Hurghada? I checked Emperordivers but wasn't quite pleased with their prices. 38 euro for 2 dives seems to be waay tooo much. Or am i just paranoid???

Dear jaak

It is more expensive due to the fact that there is less competition in the south and because it is more much complicated/expensive to run a divecenter in the south than in Sharm or Hurghada. They have recently invested in buldings and infrastructure wich they now, naturally, want to pay off as soon as possible.

To get a good reccomendation you will need to tell us more about what you expect out of your trip and what is important to you, like is it important to be able to shop, eat in different restaurants and have other tourist facilities at hand? Can you compromise with the quality of the diving, or do you want only the best and are prepared to sacrifice som comfort to get it? Are you satisfied with two dives each day etc.?

The general advice for the serious (fanatic) diver that I give for this area is to go on a liveaboard. It will be cheaper per dive because dives are all included and normally you do 3-4 dives each day and the keen diver usually ends up with 20+ dives in one week. The only way to get that number of dives into a week when living on shore, is to stay in one of the places having their own house reef and spend all day long diving it (which of course can be very nice, but unsatisfactory for most). So I think it is more a question of what you want than price.

I haven't personally booked any trips through agents in many years, but you should be able to get one week on a descent all inclusive liveaboard in the south of Egypt and flights (from europe) for 1000 euro, probably cheaper.

Also do not forget - you get what you pay. This is more true in the diving industry than in many others. Cheap prices usually mean that people are underpaid, equipment and boats are old and not properly maintained etc. It is not cheap to run a quality dive operation.

good luck

christian

Is it true, that in Marsa Alam (most dive sites) the minimum cert. requirement is PADI Advance or even RD? If it is true then these sites must be really worth sth.

jaak:
Is it true, that in Marsa Alam (most dive sites) the minimum cert. requirement is PADI Advance or even RD? If it is true then these sites must be really worth sth.

Not for the shoredives. You'll need minimum AOWD for Elphinstone and at least 40 or 50 dives.

jaak:

There are plenty of easy diving in the Marsa Alam area.

However it is true the best diving is the more advanced, not in all cases bust almost always. Usually it is possible to adapt your diving at a site to your skill level – But – this reminds me of a trip to Brother Islands a few years ago when they reopened from several years of closure. We were all experienced divers with several hundreds of dives in the Red Sea alone, and then there was a couple who was not very experienced. We spend 4.5 half days there, making some 20 dives. Fantastic diving with sightings of threasher sharks, hammerheads, silky sharks, an oceanic whitetip, a manta ray, a mola mola and of course grey and white tip reef sharks. The unexperienced couple didn't see anything and they were quite disappointed with the diving after all they had heard and read.

So if you are not prepared to go to deep, go out into the blue, go to current swept points etc., better save the best dive spots until you are and have sufficient experience to fully enjoy them. It will save both money and disappointment.

cheers

christian

I was contacted by one club in Marsa Alam called Deep South Diving. Has anyone any reliable info on that organisation???

thanks

jaak
Padi RD

Marsa Alam is a great place to dive if you are only going for the diveing... Dahab is also great, money wise, and the quality of diving..you have there a big variety of accomidation, and famous diving spots like the blue hole, canyons, caves and more...the dives are offshore dives..

Sharm and hurghada are cheeper, because they have a lot of hotels at least 25 times more than Dahab, that effects the price, and its not just for divers ..its a beach holiday as well,

george

jaak:
Thanks. Why is it that the south is more expensive than Sharm and Hurghada? I checked Emperordivers but wasn't quite pleased with their prices. 38 euro for 2 dives seems to be waay tooo much. Or am i just paranoid???

Back
Top Bottom