Election day in Mexico - alcohol ban?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lisa0825

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
There is a ban on alcohol sales on election day in Mexico, which is July 2 this year. I have heard mixed reports about whether or not this affects tourists. I will be in Cozumel that weekend, so i was wondering if anyone here has been in Cozumel on election day in the past, and can give me a report on how things were?

The replies I got so far from Cozumel my Cozumel are:

"They don't sell liquor that day but you can drink in the downtown district tourist bars and at the beach bars. To be on the safe side buy a bottle the day before election day. The hotels should be selling liquor, too. This is just so people stay nice and sober and get out there and vote. which has nothing to do with foreigners, of course."

and

"Don't know about Cozumel but I was in Cancun years ago for a 4th of July election...staying at an AI. Didn't know in advance about the drinking law. Arrived on a Friday morning for a 3 night stay. Saturday got a flyer under our hotel door telling us about the alcohol ban going into effect that afternoon until Sunday at midnight. Everybody was running around trying to buy bottles of alcohol. Sat. night Cancun bars were dead but the streets were full of tourist walking around with cups. Sunday night had lines of people waiting to get in the bars at midnight. Monday we had to fly home. Needless to say I was pretty put out about not being told about this by my travel agent (she didn't know about the ban) since the main reason we went AI was for the free booze. Oh well, lesson learned...still had fun!"

You know, that is just WRONG!!

Reminder to self: Do not travel to Mexico during elections!

It won't affect tourists in their resorts. Buy some alcohol ahead of time to be "safe" if it's that big of a deal to you.

This law really applies to locals so that they will be sober when tey vote, although it won't stop anyone who really has to have a drink or two or three. BUT, it's their country, their law and we have to respect it.

It's certainly nothing to stress about IMO. t's for ONE day and you know in advance, so you can prepare for it if necessary.

Christi:
It won't affect tourists in their resorts. Buy some alcohol ahead of time to be "safe" if it's that big of a deal to you.

This law really applies to locals so that they will be sober when tey vote, although it won't stop anyone who really has to have a drink or two or three. BUT, it's their country, their law and we have to respect it.

It's certainly nothing to stress about IMO. t's for ONE day and you know in advance, so you can prepare for it if necessary.

When you will only be there for three nights, it's a third of your trip. I'm more bummed about bars being closed than alcohol not being served. That means nowhere to go dancing. If I only wanted to drink, I could do it in my hotel room, but when I go to Cozumel, half the fun is the girls goin' out on the "town."

Lisa0825:
When you will only be there for three nights, it's a third of your trip. I'm more bummed about bars being closed than alcohol not being served. That means nowhere to go dancing. If I only wanted to drink, I could do it in my hotel room, but when I go to Cozumel, half the fun is the girls goin' out on the "town."

I am not so sure that Carlos and Charlies or Sr. Frogs will be closed. I'll see if I can get a confirmed answer on that.

Christi:
I am not so sure that Carlos and Charlies or Sr. Frogs will be closed. I'll see if I can get a confirmed answer on that.

Thanks, I appreciate it:) It'll be better to know what to expect ahead of time, anyway.

The Philippines has the same law. Must be a hangover from the Spanish....

Carlos n Charlie's usually just pays a fine ahead of time and stays open. I'd be surprised if they closed this year.

Coz Sally:
Carlos n Charlie's usually just pays a fine ahead of time and stays open. I'd be surprised if they closed this year.

LOL! Thanks Coz Sally! It probably makes good business sense for them to do that, especially depending on how many ships are in.

Just for future reference, and for the information of anyone who searches here on this subject the next time, the ban was quite arbitrary. Carlos and Charlie's and most bars I knew of near the waterfront were NOT open or serving alcohol. Some said they would at midnight, including Hard Rock Cafe. My friends were served at the beach bars they stopped at. I had lunch at La Choza, and they were NOT serving, but El Moro served us alcohol at dinner. Most waterfront shops were even closed.

What I heard (and I cannot vouch for the veracity of this) was that a new law was passed allowing establishments to stay open and serve alcohol to tourists, but that the governor overruled it.

I was exhausted from the diving anyway, so partying on our last night wasn't even somehting I was looking for, but I was glad we found somewhere to have a good margarita with dinner, because that is one of my favorite things:)

For the record, I totally respect the fact that they take their elections seriously enough to close up shop. I just want to have all the facts when I plan a trip, and want others to know what to expect as well so they can plan around it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom