Electric or gas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

klauricella

Contributor
Reaction score
I was just given an old Mako compressor with out a motor. Not sure of the the specs yet originally it had a 3hp gas engine which is gone. Was wondering if I should just put another gas engine on or go electric, leaning towards gas that way it is more portable but would like to get some opinions first.
Thanks
Kevin

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Its personal preference. A new 3 hp gas can be had for a few hundred. An electric will be much quieter and you dont have to worry about the exhaust from an engine.

With electric, you need to run a new circuit and lose the portability.

I have an old Coltri MCH-6 (3.5 cfm) which came as gas. I ran it that way and then swapped it out for electric. Compressors take quite a bit of maintenance to run properly, and the additional work to keep the gas engine going properly (oil changes, air filter, new spark plugs) plus the need to a cumbersome remote intake plumbing job made me swap to electric when I moved.

Like you, I thought I'd use the portability of gas. Turns out I'd just crank up a couple of 80's and use them to transfill bottles for the rebreathers over the long weekend. Worked much better.

The electric engine runs just as fast, is a hell of a lot quieter, and is zero work to maintain. I can pump with the shed door closed, start and stop the compressor at will, and never run out of fuel halfway through filling tanks. Much happier since I did the conversion.

Either way, the cost is about the same. Harbor Freight has small gas engines on sale once in a while, and if you search online (try Surplus Center), it's about $150 for a small but suitable Chinese made electric engine. You'll need a starter for it, too, and the appropriate 240v circuit in the shop. Pulleys/belts/mounting plates are a wash between the two.

In my case, it's easy to swap back...but I would go electric if I were just starting out again.

In my case, not impossible, but certainly impractical to change the 20hp diesel for electric. I have no 3ph service and to refit everything would be too much work and customization.

if you are using at home go the electric route. Use a dryer plug for power
if you travel with it you need gas as you cant be sure of power at sites. Many sites will not let you bring a compressor anyway. if you have a pleace with camping (rvs) then you could tote the compressor and no one would know the difference.

Its personal preference. A new 3 hp gas can be had for a few hundred. An electric will be much quieter and you dont have to worry about the exhaust from an engine.

With electric, you need to run a new circuit and lose the portability.

Back
Top Bottom