Electric vests inside drysuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom, can you explain the deal behind some manufacturers stating wet is ok and the vest you posted is not wet safe.....I know your background so I trust your opinion.

most of it is in the bus bars that are distributing the power. The material itself doesn't care if it's wet or dry, it's how the power is getting distributed that matters and whether that distribution method will withstand regular use in salt water before it fails. Durability of those connections is the big concern for me. It's not if they'll fail, it's when they fail and what happens to you when they fail. Likely nothing, but potentially some nice spot burns and some tingles from the 12v power supply

most of it is in the bus bars that are distributing the power. The material itself doesn't care if it's wet or dry, it's how the power is getting distributed that matters and whether that distribution method will withstand regular use in salt water before it fails. Durability of those connections is the big concern for me. It's not if they'll fail, it's when they fail and what happens to you when they fail. Likely nothing, but potentially some nice spot burns and some tingles from the 12v power supply

So even if you do not wear the vest against your skin and put a think layer in the middle, do you still have the risk of getting burnt / tingles?

So even if you do not wear the vest against your skin and put a think layer in the middle, do you still have the risk of getting burnt / tingles?

if at all possible it should be the outermost layer, not the innermost. In terms of getting zapped, it is still a possibility though it is greatly reduced. The question then becomes the other potential risks of that happening. If it is the outermost layer, it can damage your suit. It has the possibility of acting up without you knowing and the arc could cause a fire inside of the suit *hasn't happened to my knowledge, but it is possible*, so it is your acceptance of risk and what you are willing to do.

For me? I'm going to be diving a prototype truly waterproof vest using the Exo2 panels so I can use it with a wetsuit and have no concerns about a flooded drysuit.
If that wasn't an option for me, I'd still dive the Exo2 panels since the panels themselves are more durable and in the event of a full suit flood, likely switch the vest off if I could.

I am very risk averse, so I went way out of my way to get this vest made for me, most divers don't have those resources

Thanks Tbone. Do you have the link to those vests that you are talking about?

I am looking at getting a Santi heated vest - would be interested in people's experiences with them. What battery did you choose and why? Did you use the Santi ThermoValve, the dry suit adapter, or something else? Did you get the gloves? Were they worthwhile or a bit gimmicky?

I decided to take the plunge and get the Santi heated vest at the start of the year. I was thinking of a new can light anyway, so bit the bullet and plumped for the Ammonite 24aH thermo battery (and LED radical head). My LDS sorted me a deal for the heated gloves as well. The battery is big enough for me to use the light for the active part of the dive and the heater for the rest without worrying about charge. My max run times are around 3hrs for ref. As I said, I needed a new can light anyway, so that made the choice a bit easier.

In practice, I have an OThree CCN Ri1-100 suit, so in ~8C water and 2hr run time with the BZ200 undersuit + vest and gloves I've not felt the cold with the vest on med power for deco only and the gloves not heated. My hands used to really feel the cold, so if nothing else the gloves alone keep them much warmer, even without heat, making for a much more comfortable dive, I found dexterity ok with them. Are they a gimmick? Perhaps, but as I say, they are good under gloves in their own right, so I have no complaints.

I use the thermovalve - it just seemed the most effective way of plumbing everything in, and again I sorted a reasonable deal for the package.

Just got myself a trilam suit and discussing with others the thought is a bz400 might be needed instead of he 200 if it's really cold, so worth considering. Or go for the full heated BZ400 undersuit! :)

-Mark

Back
Top Bottom