Electrical Dual Parallel Fuses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The frequency difference in your meters is due to precision of one meter over the other. You likely have a ~2kHz frequency riding on top of the 60 Hz output frequency. One meter is sensitive enough to recognize the high frequency rider and the other is not. Generators notoriously put out dirty frequencies. If the meter has a precision adjustment than turn it down and you will get the ~60 Hz reading.
It works again without anything in particular I know I did. Only contacts inside meter self cleaned sort of maybe, by just the fact that in using other functions and turning the common dial, now all functions work.

The frequency reading when not connected or connected was looking like a floating situation. Open circuit from dirty contacts. If I see this happening again for frequency or any other function I will try my best not to break the meter in the process and clean the contacts.

The two temperate functions, both thermocouple and infrared, which read out in F an C, had similar problems before and the battery being replaced with new, did nothing to help.

Cramolyn contact cleaner I had used in the past was a different type of cleaner. It repels moisture away and also cleans contacts. It stays wet, though it does not conduct electricity.

I may see if just 90 percent alcohol and gently clean is sufficient before trying to find a vendor for the above mentioned cleaner.

The EU1000 Honda inverter type generator supposedly has better pure sign wave signal than wall outlets I have heard.

This is regardless of the speed of the generator rotational speed. The circuitry with inverter type is supposed to make sure of that.

Should be fun to try out the USB oscilloscope with 100:1 probe that is rated to 1200v. Only testing 120 volts, but scope input cannot take direct 120 volts ac using the common 10:1 probe.

The other issue with amateur radio hand held battery not holding a charge, I have not gotten to tinkering with yet.

I would try to see what people on YouTube might have already figured out, to see if it is worth while doing a cell swap to revamp the bugger.

Thanks for checking on the thread!

As the generator is an inverter. 2kHz is a common switching frequency to generate the 60Hz. So depending on the meter and its settings, to measure 2kHz would not be unusual. The scope will probably show a 2kHz ripple on the 60Hz AC.

One other thing. The fuses may be fast fuses to protect the power stages.

I will look for that ripple, not the bottled stuff though.

I just have to correct myself as it was a while and I don't think I checked the generator a second time since the first post of frequency measurement problem. I fooled myself in thinking it was both generator and also wall outlet both not reading right. So I will check again, but only when I have both the Kilowatt Meter (just brand name you know) and the Craftsman Meter and also the oscilloscope and the 100:1 probe ready to see what measures on both wall an generator sources.

Maybe I could figure out some reason the the Kilowatt Brand Meter has no problem measuring frequency, but the Craftsman Meter can only correctly measure the duty cycle? Ya know, like a filter circuit that is better on one of the meters.

Both meters do fine with duty cycle measurement at 50%. Why if filter is not good enough for frequency, but for duty cycle it works anyway?

I also just found out that my two HT Amateur Radios should both have removable antennas. It just did not move when I tried to unscrew it. Other amateurs have offered there old unused hand held radio and mentioned the antenna does unscrew.

I suspect that I was just thinking of a marine frequency hand held radio that also had GMRS tx nd rx. GMRS is not allowed to have a larger antenna legally. I just wanted on the marine radio to get to max like an in dash marine radio with an RF amp. A larger antenna for the marine band is allowed. The frequency for GMRS is close to the 2Meter Amateur Band 144MHz. GMRS 156 to 174MHz.

The RF Amp may have been a possibility since it has a range for 2Meter (144MHz) to 70Center Meter (440MHz) on 2 Bands. I'll not try removing the antenna on the marine HT as I did read that it was not made to be removed for the above stated reason that GMRS is also a band that is in the same radio and legally limits the antenna size.

Sorry for being a bit forgetful. I do belive you both were spot on!

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom