Electronic Distress Signal for divers??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vettebrett

Reaction score
Is there a electronic signaling device that can be picked up by the coast guard in case you are left by a dive boat. I thought I saw an ad for one in a dive magazine but I am unable to locate the ad again. I am talking about a radio transmitting device that would help you be located. Does anyone have any idea what I think I saw?? It is driving me nuts trying to find this product.

Spot Messenger > Home

I know this doesn't quite fit your needs but could be used outside of diving as well.

Pros: Can be used on land and sea

Cons:
-Not submersible like the one listed above. You would need a waterproof case for it.
-Has a subscription fee.

Again not ideal for what you are asking but gives you a broader range of use.

One big thing with SPOT is coverage: http://www.findmespot.com/ExploreSPOT/Coverage.aspx it does not cover everywhere so think about where you are planning on diving!

The EPIRB should work on both land and sea, though here in a few months the land based units will not routinely monitor the frequency like they do now. Search and rescue will still be able to detect it, just it will not always be routinely monitored.

IMHO the best way to go if you are serious is a PLB, personal locater beacon, which would conact COSPAS-SARSAT system if activated. They have basically complete coverage and you can get units with GPS included that will beam your location to them. The downside is you would have to build/find a waterproof case for it.

How about a radar reflecting flag --the diver tows it on the float--cost would be tiny( compared to epirb) and any boat with radar would see you within 4 miles.

see The Radar Flag - Product Display

It would work easily on the type of dive floats Splashdown divers and Underwater Explorers use ( Lynn and Kevin )...and cheap for your own boat.....cheap for a diver to bring his own float/flag and tow it...

Dan

How about a radar reflecting flag --the diver tows it on the float--cost would be tiny( compared to epirb) and any boat with radar would see you within 4 miles.

see The Radar Flag - Product Display

Neat!

Might be worth adding that to this thread (especially since it's a sticky): Best signalling equipment from the searchers point of view. This thread also had discussion about radar corner reflectors, which are slightly more complicated but may have the advantage of a stronger radar return.

Back
Top Bottom