Electronic Dive Log app, taking Suggestions for Development

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sealsix14

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I've just started my diving "career" :D..if I can call it that at this stage. And I just got an idea that I was hoping you all could help me with. I know there are many apps for log books, online dive logs and such, but I'm making an dive log app for a programming contest and would like to get some feedback on what you would like to see in a dive log app? I figured this would be the best place to get user feedback.

i.e what features, abilities, type of user Interface would you guys like to see?

If I do a good job on it at the contest and feel I can release It i'll let you guys give it a try and let me know how I did. Thanks for your help guys and the more input the better!!

Cross compatibility for different OSes, not just mobile devices but all major OSes. I'm in the market for a digital log and get really annoyed seeing all the iPhone/iPad and PC versions without an OS X or linux version.

Other than that, the ability to upload and download in bulk. Add pictures and text for any field. Maybe some auto calculations of SAC/RMV, and a nice graphical display of the dive profile. I haven't used any so far, just poked at a couple screencaps but those are the things I'd want to see. I like the digital signature option too, in case your buddy is interested in getting/giving signatures.

I'm doing initial development on the windows phone, then I can create a PC,OSX and Linux version along with the IOS and Android, so basically I'm doing initial Concepcion and design then I can see where it goes.Thanks for the input, I'll definitely try to get all of that into the design.

Altitude diving: pre site elevation, dive site elevation, pressure groups for climb, then nitrox, %, ead, pp02, dive 02 consumption, cummulative consumption, maximum dive times for nitrogren vs oxygen, dive activities, adding 10 feet for cold or strenuous diving, tank info, sac rate, temperatures, pressures, etc, etc, etc. Start with that and I'm sure more people will add to it

I'd like to see an app that allowed for the whole "picture" of the dive in addition to a simplistic logging feature as we'd see normally. Imagine having the ability to bring in your pictures and/or video from the dive added into the log. You could add the pictures in or notes along the dive's path. Probably not something you'd see on a mobile platform but cool none the less. For mobile; Cross compatibility would be key as well as online sync. Maybe a simplistic logging feature with notes and such on the mobile device, with more robust journaling on the website. Also improving on the delivery of things such as movescount. There are good ideas out there, just haven't been implemented to their full potential yet. It's about usability and functionality. Too many sites focus on how it looks. Focus first on how it works, then polish the look.

Most of the info stuff in electronic dive logs is pretty standard (depth, time, etc etc). What isn't as common is the ability to sync with a desktop/online log.

Definitely needs to have the option to switch between imperial and metric units, input gps coordinates (and/or interface with gps to obtain them), notes on weight, air, equipment config, and general dive notes. The usual :wink: in my experience with electronic logs many do these things. The difference is that some look nice and some look retarded. Make yours look nice :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some things I would love to see are the ability to track multiple tanks with different breathing gas in each tank. The ability to map your dives profile. The option for depth and penetration distance to be added.

Thanks everyone, lot of information here, I'll be designing and figuring out the base model and try to get as much sync compatibility and usability as possible. I'm probably changing my initial design to PC first, then port to mobile so I can get the sync features down. (well Linux, and OSX as well as PC).

On a more basic level, a feature I really like on my dive log app is the ability for the DM/instructor to sign off using his finger. Another cool feature which mine does not have is the ability to use the built-in camera to take a shot of the instructor's stamp and directly input that into the log entry along with the signature. Another nice feature is the ability to log the dives of several different people (ie family).

Cosmographer's comment made me think of another one... how about being able to compare different dives. For example if I dive The Spiegel Grove with 50 dives and then dive it with 200 dives being able to overlay the dive profiles and compare my SAC and depth etc in a visual way would be super cool to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom