Elevation consideration when traveling between dive/tourist spots in Bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ksporry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So, I'm going to Bali during christmas, and I need some travel advice on how to organise it.
So I already did some homework, and I know I want to see the liberty wreck (Tulamben), and I want to go to crystal bay and manta point (both at Nusa Penida).
My biggest concern is the elevation in Bali. It's quite mountainous. And as you know, you can't really venture into mountains straight after diving. I suspect Nusa Penida will be manageable as you may not need to travel acros smountains to get from crystal bay to manta point, and if this is a problem there might be dive trips organised from Kuta to either location. I would also imagine that there is plenty to do on Nusa Penida itself, besides diving (Tips are welcome!). Can someone confirm this (the elevation) is not going to be an issue when diving Nusa Penida?
Another one is Tulamben. It seems surrounded by mountains, and if I dive a whole day, I won't be able to leave Tulamben for 24-28 hours (depending how deep I go and how long I stay under). How much non-dive stuff is there to do on Tulamben that I can fill a complete day with?

I guess in general it comes down to, can I do stuff in either place that does not include entering elevated places at any of those dive spots, or are there means of transportation (e.g. ferries) that would allow me to travel between dive sites, or other tourist locations without entering mountanous terrain?

As a note, I'm pretty conservative when it comes to diving. I follow my computer's instructions so I won't venture into elevated terrain until my computer says it's safe to do so.

I wouldnt worry about elevation unless you decide to climb Agung and stay up there for a few days - the roads skirt around the volcano. You can certainly drive from Tulumben to Sanur to catch the scoot ferry across to NP in a day without waiting any ''elevation'' hassles. There is not a lot to do in Tulumben other than dive to your hearts content. Not sure if the roadworks are over and done with but expect a long drive from Tulumben back to Kuta - you will probably miss the ferry to NP on that day unless the traffic gods are kind to you or you want to leave at 3am. Im sure there will be a lot more recent info on NP but last time I was there there is not a lot to do other than dive, relax, have a good time, hire a scooter and go exploring, take the yellow bridge across to Cenigen and see the underground house. You will get from Manta Point to Crystal Bay by boat.

Wingy is right. Most people stay in the south of Bali, preferably around Sanur to dive Nusa Penida. Day trips to there often include dives at Manta Point & Crystal Bay. You are in the water, beach or boat the whole time. There are many non-diving things to do in Bali. It is also possible to do day trips to Tulamben via the more coastal road which is how dive shops take you. It's far better though to spend some time up there so you can get dives in before and after the day trippers are there. If you take that option and arrange your own transport, be sure to tell the driver before negotiating the price that you need to stick to the low roads. Otherwise, they may take the short-cut that could put you at risk.

Thanks for those responses guys. With that in mind, I got 5 days of diving as it turns out (9 days in bali in total but also want to experience some culture and top side nature :) ). Any recommendations for dive sites and operators? For info, I plan to dive mostly on the east half due to water conditions in December and I read the East part is usually not as bad as the West in monsoon season. Also I'm learning underwater photography and only have wide angle kit at the moment, and I'd be interested in any operator that can advice starting uw photographers (I do have DUP).

I read something about bali scuba who seem to arrange compete trips for diving. Are they any good?

Bali Scuba has a decent reputation, as does Tulamban Wreck Divers in the north. Wide angle shots at the Liberty wreck, Manta Point and Crystal Bay are ideal but there is a lot of macro up north too.

well, teh north west is not such a good time to dive end december I read. Apparently the mosnoons bring all kinds of trash from the other islands

Back
Top Bottom