Eliminating fog on the lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PeaceDog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
In the last few weeks I have taken my Stingray 2 housing out on some deeper dives, and I am getting serious fog at greater depths beyond the dramatic thermoclines we have up here in NE.

It takes the camera a good 10 minutes to equalize, and I just don't have that kind of time. Regardless of the amount of moisture munchers I throw in there, I'm having this problem.

Any suggestions?

PeaceDog:
In the last few weeks I have taken my Stingray 2 housing out on some deeper dives, and I am getting serious fog at greater depths beyond the dramatic thermoclines we have up here in NE.

It takes the camera a good 10 minutes to equalize, and I just don't have that kind of time. Regardless of the amount of moisture munchers I throw in there, I'm having this problem.

Any suggestions?
Hi Peacedog,
This is a very common problem...especially for those of us who dive in regions where we have high temps and humidity at the surface and very cold temps at depth. Here in the Great Lakes in the summer, I have run into this problem quite often. There are a few things you can do to try to eliminate the fogging.
Load the camera the night before the dive in an air conditioned atmosphere. Possibly blow scuba air into the housing prior to loading the camera. Use the moisture munchers or other moisture absorbant material. Try some defog solution on the lense of the housing. Only turn on your camera as necessary while it is in the housing.
These are just a few suggestions, hope they help. I have tried them all and have had some success w/all of them.
Good Luck and please share your videos w/the rest of us!

best,
brando

The point is to get the dryest air possible inside the housing as you close the door.

If setting up the housing at home (best), use air-conditioned air and a couple of silica packs (make sure the packs can not move and can not interfere with the o-rings as the door closes).

If setting up the housing on a boat, just before closing the door in the housing, fill the housing with air from a scuba tank. Don't try purging a reg into the housing as you will probably get droplets of seawater into the housing. Instead, buy one of those air tools that connect to the BCD inflator hose. Give a couple of squirts away from the housing to clear the nozzle and then gently let the dry scuba air fill the housing. Then quickly (but carefully) close the housing.

Silica packs are only helpful if they are new or have been dried out. An open silica pack on a boat will, after a while, be as moist as the sea air.

Finally, place the housing in the camera soaking tub on the boat until time to dive. This'll bring the temparature down somewhat and test the seals in a controlled environment.

Regards
Peter

On a recent trip we used the Rain X Anti Fog wipes on the inside lenses of our video and camera equipment. Rubbed it on the used a soft cloth to wipe the lense per the instructions on the package. It worked great, didn't have any problems with fogging even with changes in temps due to thermoclines.

Thanks to all of you. I will be doing these things next time I set up the housing.

Can you reccommend a favorite dessicant, and where can I get that Rain-X? Is it applied internally or on the outside of the lens?

PeaceDog:
Thanks to all of you. I will be doing these things next time I set up the housing.

Can you reccommend a favorite dessicant, and where can I get that Rain-X? Is it applied internally or on the outside of the lens?
You can find "Rain-X" or something similar at places like Wal-Mart or Meijers in the auto dept.'s...or find it any any auto care store (i.e. Pep Bros.).
The dessicant can be bought at many dive shops (usually sold as "Moisture Munchers") , probably find it on-line as well, or you can check w/gun shops too....it can be bought in bulk and is used in folks vaults to keep the air dry to hinder rusting of stored guns. The bulk stuff can be used then reactivated by putting it in the oven for a bit at low temps.

best,
brando

Great info, thanks everybody!

I just ordered a pile of moisture munchers on amazon. The shipping is $$$ though - $11 for a $7 item - so it might be just as easy to get them at your LDS. Get the ones in the cylindrical packs (cigarette shape - half the length) - no edges to get caught in the seal. Moisture munchers can't be rejuvenated (at least the label tells you not to try), but they turn pink when they're saturated, so you can tell when they're dead.

RainX is available in "wipes" - sheets like baby wipes that you pull out of a box - perfect! I may try that this weekend. I think I got mine at Hi-Lo or Pep Boys or something.

Taxgeek

I use moisture munchers and don't have any problems. Might work in your situation

muncher_rt_220.jpg

MOISTURE MUNCHERS

UndrWatrDan:
On a recent trip we used the Rain X Anti Fog wipes on the inside lenses of our video and camera equipment. Rubbed it on the used a soft cloth to wipe the lense per the instructions on the package. It worked great, didn't have any problems with fogging even with changes in temps due to thermoclines.
If you have acrylic ports on your equipment, over time applying Rain-X to them will cause them to etch and discolor. Glass ports are immune.

Here's the technical explanation:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=74077&highlight=Rain-X

Like fdog I’ve used RVR for years as I always had it around the airplane and it works great. By using it on the outside of my port it solved another annoying problem with bubbles sticking to the port when someone exhales under you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom