Emergency swimming ascent 33ft depth limitation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of the issues this thread fails to discuss so far is the potentially HUGE number of explosively bouyant ascents which have occurred over the last 30 years by divers who screwed up and shot to the surface, with or without air in the tank....Just in the last 20 years of diving in S fl, I have heard of so many unskilled divers coming up like a polaris missile, with no negative effects afterwards.
The point to this:
1. Even most really bad divers can manage to exhale on the way up--this is an incredibly simple skill.
2. DCS is NOT some "monstrous foot from god" that will "stomp down" on you the "moment" you don't follow the standard no-stop ascent protocols.

I am certain that many of the regulars on SB could come up with a large number of incidents they witnessed or heard about, where some butthead did the Polaris missle ascent, and lived to dive stupidly another day.

What I am saying here is that the CESA should not be considered so dangerous---and that a person who can't safely do the CESA, should never have been certified--it would have to be either an extreme physical limitation of the individual, or extreme panic--either one should make the candidate take up a sport other than scuba diving.

Back
Top Bottom