Emirates hand luggage weight restrictions- regulators ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Janice Chilcoat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Flying Emirates DC to Jakarta via Dubai and I see that they have specific weight restrictions for carry on bags (7kg) With regulators and a camera this does not leave much space for anything else. Has anyone flown this route and do they actually weigh carry on bags? And if so how strictly do they enforce the weight limit...I'm at 7.2kg just with my usual carry on gear. In 20 years I have never packed regulator/dive computer in checked bags !

Thanks !

Do you also use a regulator bag? That is, do you put your regulator in a regulator bag, and then the regulator bag into your carry on? You might be able to pull out the regulator bag from your carry on if challenged and claim the regulator bag is a camera bag. I am not aware that there are restrictions on camera bags.
Have a nice trip; Emirates Air is a great airline.

GJS

I've traveled Emirates to Asia a number of times. Carry-on bags have always been weighted at check in both outbound and return. Sometimes combined with check in bag, sometimes on their own.

I've only known them claim excess charges on the return flight. So I ensure my kit is dry before flying home.

This may not be applicable, as I use Emirates straight out of Dubai. I've stopped taking regs in carry on, we always get searched and they really don't like it.
Time are changing, and while it has historically been possible to carry regs as carry on, I think it's moving to being able to take less. A reg set makes a good weapon.
Different departure airports have different rules. Often the outbound rules are different from the inbound, depends on the local rules My dive computer, camera, personal electronics and charges (plus emergency change of clothes in case my bags get lost) go in my carry on. The rest goes in the hold. My gear goes around the world and has never been lost nor tampered with

Thanks so much for your replies. My "go to" move has always been to take out my regulator bag if necessary and use that as a carry on if the size/weight of my bag is questioned. I still use an air integrated hose mounted computer so my whole rig normally is hand carried. The challenge with Emirates is the size + weight restrictions sound like carry on bags must be really small. When trying to fit regulator, dive computer, camera and essential meds + an emergency change of clothes in case my checked bags don't make it and I'm overweight ....even using my allowed 2 small carry on bags in business class. I have unfortunately had all sorts of things disappear out of my checked bags over the last 20 years of diving so I hesitate to pack anything tempting in my checked bag. It's good to know they do actually weigh carry on bags so I will just have to make it work !

I've flown Emirates four times (Houston to Dubai, Dubai to Muscat, and those two flights back) and my carry-ons weren't weighed (thankfully!) on any of them, so it must just either be the specific flights or ticket agents. It definitely is getting harder to do carry-ons, however. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom