Emo Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iluvtheocean

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm sorry... when i saw the title of their new course -- that's immediately what i thought of...... i've read it over several times and not sure exactly what'll teach you except to try and make you more comfortable in the water, nitrox, and work on buoyancy.

This is put out by Diver's Direct BTW:
Emocean Diver Upgrade Training Program in Florida | Sport Diver

Ready to take your diving expertise to the next level? Our Emocean Diver Upgrade Training Program will take your Open Water training and give you the underwater smarts you need to dive safely, feel comfortable making your own dive plans, and have serious fun! The warm clear waters of Florida's reef ecosystem are a beautiful site for a dive-cation, and it's the only living coral reef in the continental USA!
Don’t let a bad diving experience keep your from exploring the rest of your world. Our training program is designed to give you more time in the water to practice and fine-tune your scuba skills. Extend your bottom time learning to use Enriched Air Nitrox, and actually go diving with the mix. And with your included Peak Performance Buoyancy training, you have ultimate underwater control!

Emocean Divers feel comfortable diving, and you'll walk away from this experience feeling like a diving pro! The more you know, the safer you’ll feel underwater, and the more confident you'll be to branch out to diving specialties. Emocean divers will gain the knowledge and experience needed for exploring the underwater caverns of Florida, or drift diving with the Gulf Stream. See the hundreds of shipwrecks along Florida's coastline, or the magnificent coral structures in the Florida Keys. Our natural reefs are part of the third largest barrier reef system in the world and are abundant with wildlife.
From now until May 31st, any diver who enrolls in an Emocean Diver Upgrade program can share their learning experiences with their dive buddy, for the price of one course! This 2-for-1 special lets you and your dive buddy take the course together, and see all that diving in Florida has to offer!
Price: $895.00

Wow. I've been fixing other instructor's mistakes for many years and it never occurred to me to make the poor bastard who got bad training pay an arm AND a leg to get it fixed.

R..

i just noticed something that threw up a big red flag ---- Emocean divers will gain the knowledge and experience needed for exploring the underwater caverns of Florida

so this course is providing cavern (or cave not sure) training as well?????? We may be short a pip or 2 of a full d20, but even I'm leery of entering caverns & wrecks w/o the requisite training AND EQ. I wouldn't mind going into a cavern - but not past any signs.... and only in an area that is OW accessible since i'm not cavern cert. I can think of more pleasant ways of suicide.

there was a padi destinctive that someone created last year for something like this... but didn't include the other areas since his aim was to deal with the pysch issues i though.. and the instructor doing it was qualified for the counseling i thought.

i just noticed something that threw up a big red flag ---- Emocean divers will gain the knowledge and experience needed for exploring the underwater caverns of Florida

so this course is providing cavern (or cave not sure) training as well?????? We may be short a pip or 2 of a full d20, but even I'm leery of entering caverns & wrecks w/o the requisite training AND EQ. I wouldn't mind going into a cavern - but not past any signs.... and only in an area that is OW accessible since i'm not cavern cert. I can think of more pleasant ways of suicide.

there was a padi destinctive that someone created last year for something like this... but didn't include the other areas since his aim was to deal with the pysch issues i though.. and the instructor doing it was qualified for the counseling i thought.

Yeah, that just means that they do a trust-me dive within the light-zone.

Yet another problem that guys like me can fix after the fact. I do appreciate that they identify a group of divers who need remedial training. The fact that they try to make it "fun" by doing something superficially challenging isn't necessarily undermining the good work they (intend to) do. It just means that they have the same problem I have... which is that most people, even if they recognize how bad their training was, would sooner not dive than pay *even more* money in the (slim) hope that the next guy is any better. They're looking for a carrot that will get people interested.

The main reason that 80% of new divers never dive (much) after their initial training is that they have no frame of reference. They intuitively realize that they have been trained poorly but don't have enough (if any) exposure to *good* instructors to form an understanding that not all training is the same. It's a marketing problem. Agencies push the message that quality is high across the board when actually quality is average (or below average) in most cases and high-quality training is highly exceptional.

R..

it never occurred to me to make the poor bastard who got bad training pay an arm AND a leg to get it fixed.

Isn't that the whole point of Fundies? :wink:

Isn't that the whole point of Fundies? :wink:

Are we allowed to say that? Paying €375,- for essentially a course in buoyancy control and equipment familiarization seems a bit extreme to me ... but people line up 6 deep for it nonetheless and instructors who give it are hailed as heroes.

I teach my students this stuff for free. My bad.

R..

Yet another problem that guys like me can fix after the fact.
Yeah; only if they live. What happens when one of these clueless divers (anyone willing to pay $900 for a Peak Performance Bouyancy class is clueless) decides they really do have the knowledge and experience needed for exploring the underwater caverns of Florida?

These are the kind of shops that make we want to sit outside all day and explain to new divers how they're being ripped off. To see it run by a major company, advertised in a major magazine, and one endorsed by PADI, makes me want to give them a swift kick in the nutmegs.

I go to Florida several times a year. I will never step back into a Diver's Direct again. NEVER.

Unless it is to kick whoever crafted this fecal matter in the nutmegs.

The warm clear waters of Florida's reef ecosystem are a beautiful site for a dive-cation, and it's the only living coral reef in the continental USA!

I wonder how the folks at the Flower Gardens feel bout that? Arguably the healthiest coral reef in the world.

for some reason i didn't think the Flower Gardens Reef in the Gulf was considered part due to how far off shore it is? What can you say about marketers? :wink:

it doesn't say if it includes hotels, EQ rental, boat fees, etc... they are a bit vague on details.... which is a ploy to get you to call them... they can't call you until you call them!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom