Employment related question - Dreadlocks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Foot long "normal" hair is likely less of a problem then dreads, but as someone said earlier, "if you have to ask you know the answer."

I was once told that Coco Channel said that “When a poorly dressed women enters a room you see the dress, when a well dressed women enters a room you see the women.” I take this to mean that you should appear in a manner that speaks for the whole person. So do you want to be seen as the guy with the Dreads or the potential DM who knows his stuff? Think about it, if I say Bjork do you think of a singer or a strang women who wore a swan dress to an awards show? http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Ptitlelbejyga9

Other things, thanks to Bob Marley many people see dreds and think pot. I don’t want a pot head working with my customers, so why even take a chance. If you want dreds, get the job and then grow them.

This thread makes me wonder if some of the opinons also have to do with the repsonders (and shop owners) generational status...

I personally haven't ever been in a dive shop where I would find someone with dreds out of place. Most of the shops I've been in are low key and seem pretty casual...

On hair ... ya don't know what ya got till it's gone ... if I could grow hair, it'd be down to my ass. Dreadlocks might actually be easier to manage.

On appearances ... a former co-worker of mine once showed up for a job interview wearing a flannel shirt, faded blue jeans and bright red Converse sneakers. He's an EE with a ton of telecom experience. A few of us happened to be in the lobby when he walked in and someone said "anybody who shows up for an interview looking like that has GOT to be good" ... turned out he was, and they hired him on the spot.

If you've got the chops, people tend to look past your appearance ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The fact that you've asked the question means you already think the answer matters.

Personally I wouldn't work for anyone that wouldn't hire me because of my appearance (assuming you're at least hygienic) and I work in a "conservative" environment. I currently wear 3 8 gauge earrings, a tongue piercing, and visible tattoos every day. My work stands on it's own, as does my professional behavior.

If you have a good work ethic and act professionally, most employers will allow a certain amount of leeway in your personal appearance as they will recognize that what you look like has no bearing on your qualifications or your behavior. There will be exceptions though, because your behavior isn't the only thing your employer will have to worry about. They have to worry about potential customer's behavior as well. That said, how many divers really wouldn't go diving with a DM with dreads? From what I've seen in my limited experience most people diving are laid back enough to not give a damn what the crew looks like as long as they do their jobs well.

If you've got the chops, people tend to look past your appearance ...
... Bob (Grateful Diver)

My work stands on it's own, as does my professional behavior.

If you have a good work ethic and act professionally, most employers will allow a certain amount of leeway in your personal appearance as they will recognize that what you look like has no bearing on your qualifications or your behavior.
I wish I could agree, because that is the way it should be--your abilities and deportment should speak for themselves. Here in the real world, I make hiring decisions in consultation with a few other executives. The number and quality of resumes is staggering. Just deciding who gets to come in for a short interview is a difficult call. If you think you can establish in that short interview that you are more competent than the other applicants, you are probably mistaken. Once you are established in an industry you will have a track record and a reputation that--with luck, hard work, and ability--will make the screening process a mere formality. Until then, skip the dreadlocks, face tattoos, eyebrow piercings, etc., or resign yourself to having fewer choices of employment.

I wish I could agree, because that is the way it should be--your abilities and deportment should speak for themselves. Here in the real world, I make hiring decisions in consultation with a few other executives. The number and quality of resumes is staggering. Just deciding who gets to come in for a short interview is a difficult call. If you think you can establish in that short interview that you are more competent than the other applicants, you are probably mistaken. Once you are established in an industry you will have a track record and a reputation that--with luck, hard work, and ability--will make the screening process a mere formality. Until then, skip the dreadlocks, face tattoos, eyebrow piercings, etc., or resign yourself to having fewer choices of employment.

I'm not sure what "real world" you live in, Vladamir, but the one I live in, as a defense contractor in the USA, I have no problem getting jobs. I typically wear a suit to interviews, so my visible tattoos don't show in an interview, but my piercings do and they haven't hurt me yet. I do mention my tattoos as I use it as a barometer of a potential employer's tolerance toward me being me. I have shown up to interviews in a short sleeve collared shirt and slacks, though, and they were surprised. My answer to why I didn't wear a suit: "You called me and I'm not looking for a job." I got an offer from them, which I declined.

I am, as you said, "established" and have a lot of experience and very well known references as well, though, so perhaps my experience should be taken with a grain of salt. It has been my experience, however, that people will generally overlook cosmetic differences (not hygiene but cosmetic) as long as they believe you are capable. I work in a traditionally quite conservative environment and have never seen any issues with people "looking different". Will it impact you, certainly, at least until people actually work with you.

I have had my boss' boss ask me if I ever thought any of my tattoos or piercings impact my career (I told her it didn't really matter to me, I'm happy with what I have.) I have been told by other people that customers who've met me were "pleasantly surprised" that I was professional and "normal". So, all my anecdotes aside, it does have an affect. My point is that in "the real world" you should be able to stand up for your choices and accept what comes from them. I choose to look "non-conformant" and it hasn't impacted me more than I want or allow it.

As I said in my original post, it's certainly easier to get in the door if you "conform" but why would you want to work for someone who won't hire you because of how you cut (or don't cut) your hair?

I'm not sure what "real world" you live in, Vladamir
I run the Hong Kong office of a Wall Street trading company.

but the one I live in, as a defense contractor in the USA, I have no problem getting jobs.
Good for you. Perhaps you are a highly competent worker, or perhaps, in the midst of a ~10% unemployment rate, you are lucky to be employed in an industry that is insulated from the market and heavily regulated. The OP doesn't have that luxury--his prospective employers have a glut of applicants and can make their decisions on a whim.

I applaud people who indulge their individuality, though I doubt tattoos, piercings, or dreads qualify any more than wearing a particular brand of jeans does. Nevertheless, to each his own. I am truly glad you have found a niche that allows you to style yourself as you please. In an attempt to offer practical advice to the OP, however, I sought to caution him that his odds of successful employment might be narrowed by following your example.

As I said in my original post, it's certainly easier to get in the door if you "conform" but why would you want to work for someone who won't hire you because of how you cut (or don't cut) your hair?
Because you need the money.

I run the Hong Kong office of a Wall Street trading company. Interesting, would you mind if I PM you about that?

Good for you. Perhaps you are a highly competent worker, or perhaps, in the midst of a ~10% unemployment rate, you are lucky to be employed in an industry that is insulated from the market and heavily regulated. The OP doesn't have that luxury--his prospective employers have a glut of applicants and can make their decisions on a whim.
As I said, I have extensive experience in my field and very good references to boot, so my anecdotal evidence should be taken with a grain of salt.

I applaud people who indulge their individuality, though I doubt tattoos, piercings, or dreads qualify any more than wearing a particular brand of jeans does. I'll agree with that completely. My tattoos and piercings are no more my "right" to show off at work than my employer is comfortable with-- I just choose to make sure my prospective employers and I agree on what is acceptable. If it's not something I'm willing to "give up" then I seek employment elsewhere.

In an attempt to offer practical advice to the OP, however, I sought to caution him that his odds of successful employment might be narrowed by following your example. I think we've all agreed to that. I mentioned that no matter what my personal experiences and choices have been, the OP must realize that his prospective employer has more to think about than just allowing employees the freedom to express themselves. I think several of us have mentioned that he most definitely will limit his options, it is just my opinion that it isn't necessarily bad to limit your options. Sometimes it makes a huge difference in quality of life. You do have to be aware of when and how you're limiting yourself, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom