Empress II or Mikumba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, that is one way...but it would also be dependent on whether there is a liveaboard that is sailing during the same time frame that would already fit with the travel plans that have already been made (flights) that are possibly non-refundable or changeable without a huge fee. Insurance would not cover these change fees either because of a non-sail for business decisions would not be covered anyway. Assuming there is a liveaboard that is sailing during the same time period that is acceptable, whether that has space or not...Then the third thing, as @Erica Watson can tell you, is how timely or not that notice is given and at that point, what you are or are not able to do about it. In her case, which I think is quite extreme, she was notified after she already left home to fly to the destination.

Does your friend know how far in advance they have been cancelling or how often they have been cancelling?

He said the information was passed to him in confidence. Although, I would imagine cancellations on guests would not make it so secretive because those guests are likely to say something. Being cancelled on because of not meeting minimum guest requirements is scary. There's little to no recourse if your other travel plans have already been made, regardless of whether you have trip insurance or not. Sailings that are cancelled due to business decisions are not included. :( To be frank, this is possible with any liveaboard company but your chances are higher for less popular or more obscure boats. I don't know where these 2 boats are in that realm but I also didn't want others to think that cancellations or not even leaving port for not meeting minimum guest requirements don't happen with other liveaboards as well.

Now I'm looking at the MV Blue Manta. They seem to be very active so probably reputable. Have you heard anything about them?

Now I'm looking at the MV Blue Manta. They seem to be very active so probably reputable. Have you heard anything about them?

The MV Blue Manta is a highly rated boat. It is on the more expensive side, and even more so for a Komodo itinerary compared to other available options, especially considering how close to Labuan Bajo you actually are and the more generous supply of liveaboards in the park coupled with the viability of day boat diving from Labuan Bajo.

With that said, if you go with this boat, I think you will be thrilled. Undercurrent subscribers/writers and others who have been on it have reported great things about the Blue Manta along with the other White Manta Fleet liveaboards.

Are you not allowed to say which one?

It is not difficult to put two and two together. Look at the attached file. You can see empty cabins. It is a boat that could possibly cancel a trip if there are insufficient bookings.

Attachments

• Screen Grab 22 Feb 2018.jpg
    Screen Grab 22 Feb 2018.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 114
It is not difficult to put two and two together. Look at the attached file. You can see empty cabins. It is a boat that could possibly cancel a trip if there are insufficient bookings.

Apologies for it not being as obvious to me as it was to you. With a quick search based on those dates, I've figured out which boat you are referring to. Thank you. I did not think to look at max capacity of each boat and subtract the available spots for each to figure out what capacity each boat was at in order to come to this conclusion. It was a much more circuitous route than a response here but I understand why you do not want to name specific names.

Maybe they would get more bookings if their photos looked nicer and they made their staterooms less basic looking. :D

I feel stupid now lol.

Thanks though.....
Probably going with the Manta...

Apologies for it not being as obvious to me as it was to you. With a quick search based on those dates, I've figured out which boat you are referring to. Thank you. I did not think to look at max capacity of each boat and subtract the available spots for each to figure out what capacity each boat was at in order to come to this conclusion. It was a much more circuitous route than a response here but I understand why you do not want to name specific names.

Maybe they would get more bookings if their photos looked nicer and they made their staterooms less basic looking. :D
Having a hard time between the Empress and Blue Manta. Manta seems much nicer but its also triple the price! And only about a day longer

Having a hard time between the Empress and Blue Manta. Manta seems much nicer but its also triple the price! And only about a day longer
Save the money and spend it on day trip from LBJ before or after the trip.
Scuba Junkie Komodo has good review.

I have heard scuba junkie and Uber scuba are amazing. I'll look into doing a day trip with them!
I just remember Scuba Junkie is based miles away from LBJ. Therefore Day trip is NOT really possible. But there are others operated out from LBJ.
Sorry for the mixed up.

Save the money for when you go back and want to dive Raja Ampat, Banda Sea, Derawan Islands, etc. These places generally have less budget options. Take advantage of this while you are in Komodo. :)

Back
Top Bottom