Empress II or Mikumba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also I'd imagine bottom time does stack up through the trip.
It does so it is advisable to take 1/2 day off after mutlidays diving for safety reason.
It is your holiday and your life.

It does so it is advisable to take 1/2 day off after mutlidays diving for safety reason.
It is your holiday and your life.
Only a half day? I have heard 24 is the minimum.

Also, all those days on nitrox vs air probably means you can get on a plane sooner.

Only a half day? I have heard 24 is the minimum.

Also, all those days on nitrox vs air probably means you can get on a plane sooner.
I meant 1/2 day off and then continue diving!
24hrs is for no flying after diving.
As for flying sooner if using nitrox instead of air, your choice not mine.

Be cautuious with one of the two boats mentioned. You may wish to ensure that you are fully insured for trip cancellations.

Be cautuious with one of the two boats mentioned. You may wish to ensure that you are fully insured for trip cancellations.

Can you please elaborate what you mean about the two boats? Have you heard or experienced something negative about or with them? What type of cancellation are you worried about? For what it’s worth, we know through @Erica Watson that trip cancellation isn’t covered with some companies if the cancellation is because the Liveaboard boat chooses not to sail out of business reasons or not meeting minimum guest requirements.

I look forward to your response and clarification. Thanks!

Hi,

I cautioned about ONE of the two boats mentioned by the OP, not both of them.

I have a friend, that I have known for 3 decades, and who has been in the diving business for that length of time (30 years). My friend knows resort and LOB owners in Indonesia through the dive business and tells me that business contacts have said that one of the boats has been cancelling trips. This information was passed to me in confidence because I had been making enquiries prior to booking a trip on that boat. I am led to believe that trips were being cancelled because there were not enough guests to run the trips.

One indirect way to have some sort of "insurance" is to book through an agency (instead of directly with the boat). An agency would represent multiple LOBs in Indonesia and may be able to offer a trip on an alternative LOB should a trip be cancelled.

Hi,

I cautioned about ONE of the two boats mentioned by the OP, not both of them.

I have a friend, that I have known for 3 decades, and who has been in the diving business for that length of time (30 years). My friend knows resort and LOB owners in Indonesia through the dive business and tells me that business contacts have said that one of the boats has been cancelling trips. This information was passed to me in confidence because I had been making enquiries prior to booking a trip on that boat. I am led to believe that trips were being cancelled because there were not enough guests to run the trips.

One indirect way to have some sort of "insurance" is to book through an agency (instead of directly with the boat). An agency would represent multiple LOBs in Indonesia and may be able to offer a trip on an alternative LOB should a trip be cancelled.
Are you not allowed to say which one?

Getting the word out will possibly help lots of people.

Hi,

Yes, that is one way...but it would also be dependent on whether there is a liveaboard that is sailing during the same time frame that would already fit with the travel plans that have already been made (flights) that are possibly non-refundable or changeable without a huge fee. Insurance would not cover these change fees either because of a non-sail for business decisions would not be covered anyway. Assuming there is a liveaboard that is sailing during the same time period that is acceptable, whether that has space or not...Then the third thing, as @Erica Watson can tell you, is how timely or not that notice is given and at that point, what you are or are not able to do about it. In her case, which I think is quite extreme, she was notified after she already left home to fly to the destination.

Does your friend know how far in advance they have been cancelling or how often they have been cancelling?

Are you not allowed to say which one?

Getting the word out will possibly help lots of people.

He said the information was passed to him in confidence. Although, I would imagine cancellations on guests would not make it so secretive because those guests are likely to say something. Being cancelled on because of not meeting minimum guest requirements is scary. There's little to no recourse if your other travel plans have already been made, regardless of whether you have trip insurance or not. Sailings that are cancelled due to business decisions are not included. :( To be frank, this is possible with any liveaboard company but your chances are higher for less popular or more obscure boats. I don't know where these 2 boats are in that realm but I also didn't want others to think that cancellations or not even leaving port for not meeting minimum guest requirements don't happen with other liveaboards as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom