Empress II or Mikumba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was on the Empress ll last year (I have had one Empress trip cancelled). The boat is very basic. Only one toilet/bathroom available for all guests (only the main cabin has an en suite). It worked out OK on this trip although it does have the potential to get interesting if a couple of passengers have stomach problems. My cabin was basic but comfortable. The fan kept the cabin at a reasonably pleasant temperature. The food was OK.

I used my own gear. The rental equipment appeared OK though they crew could be slow to fix little things. I used Nitrox for the trip. The boat had a Nitrox analyzer so you could check tanks prior to dives. The the briefing and guides are fine.

The re-compression chamber is not operational (or nobody is qualified to operate it). I believe they will be removing it to make space for crew accommodation. The lift is OK however it would be very difficult to use in a choppy/rough sea. Of the two tenders one was operational for the entire trip. However, it didn't have a ladder so you could either take your gear off for the crew to stow and launch yourself into the tender or be towed back to the Empress. The other tender had motor problems and the only time we used it, it nosed into the choppy and started taking on water. Fortunately we were close to the dive site and kitted for the dive so we rolled out and let the crewman sort it out. I do not think it is seaworthy.

There were issues with a generator.It was billowing smoke for the entire trip. I would put my mask on and regulator in my mouth as soon as I boarded the tender (as did the other divers) to avoid as much of the diesel smoke as possible.

I will be considering a Komodo trip in the next year. I will not be choosing a budget live aboard. I will spend the extra dollars for a mid range boat. I hope my experiences are of use to you.
I should probably go with the Mermaid than eh?

You wouldn't go back with the empress?

Komodo bug is still biting you, eh :D

I'm going to explore other places this year (Cocos, Maldives & Socorro) :)
I keep trying to convince my one friend to go but he's obsessed with Truk. He goes there every year. He is a major history buff and I don't think he cares about bio diversity so much (or at least he says he doesn't) but he looses his mind whenever we see "big fish" in La Jolla, SoCal. Is the Indo bug really taht contagious? How big of a suprise am I in for if I have only ever dove in Florida, SoCal, Hawaii, and Seychelles?

First time yes, second time no, instead we did some dives off the coast in that area. Great black sand muck dives. I saw my first Roughsnout Ghost Pipefish (sadly my camera had flooded before), my guide and I had a frog fish spotting contest. I spotted 5 to his 4. I cheated I just swam ahead stopping at all the habitat hotspots, he still had to spot other stuff for my dive buddy.
Do you feel like you missed out on Komodo due to the transit?

I'm going with my friend so we will need more than one space! Thanks for the offer though. :D
You are in luck.. One budget cabin available :D

I keep trying to convince my one friend to go but he's obsessed with Truk. He goes there every year. He is a major history buff and I don't think he cares about bio diversity so much (or at least he says he doesn't) but he looses his mind whenever we see "big fish" in La Jolla, SoCal. Is the Indo bug really taht contagious? How big of a suprise am I in for if I have only ever dove in Florida, SoCal, Hawaii, and Seychelles?

I’ve been in Florida (Jupiter, Key Largo, Key West, Dry Tortugas) & SoCal (Anacapa), but haven’t been in Seychelles. They have some interesting to see there & quite different world than what you would see in Komodo.

I like to see the sharks & Goliath Groupers in Florida. Not much coral diversities than that of in Komodo, though. The critter diversity in Komodo blew me away. As far as fish, you’ll see quite variety from little blennies, wrasses, mid size jacks, bumphead parrotfish, to big size sharks & mantas in one trip. Seeing the Komodo parading on the beach (not just in Komodo National Park) during safety stop in South Rinca is a treat, that you would find no where else in the world.

89793AAE-F852-4E46-989E-329B57483A09.jpeg
EB9944EC-2C12-4043-87F7-FBE625793E81.jpeg

SoCal is also uniquely different than Komodo, like the kelp forest, sea hare, Garibaldi, California Sheephead, etc. (see my trip report Anacapa Diving, Sep 8-9, 2017, Trip Report ), but it is not as biodiversed as Komodo.

Last edited:
I’ve dived California (I live here) and Hawaii but have not dived Florida or Seychelles. It’s no comparison - Indonesia hands down - but I know that it’s different and different divers like different things.

I love the warm water, the viz, the colors, the hard and soft corals, the schools of fish, the mantas, the critters, and biodiversity. It really is amazing.

I’ve dived California (I live here) and Hawaii but have not dived Florida or Seychelles. It’s no comparison - Indonesia hands down - but I know that it’s different and different divers like different things.

I love the warm water, the viz, the colors, the hard and soft corals, the schools of fish, the mantas, the critters, and biodiversity. It really is amazing.
That's all the stuff I'm into. I'm not a big fan of cold water. And I love colors. Catalina is cold but very lively. Farnsworth bank is my favorite divesite.

I’ve been in Florida (Jupiter, Key Largo, Key West, Dry Tortugas) & SoCal (Anacapa), but haven’t been in Seychelles. They have some interesting to see there & quite different world than what you would see in Komodo.

I like to see the sharks & Goliath Groupers in Florida. Not much coral diversities than that of in Komodo, though. The critter diversity in Komodo blew me away. As far as fish, you’ll see quite variety from little blennies, wrasses, mid size jacks, bumphead parrotfish, to big size sharks & mantas in one trip. Seeing the Komodo parading on the beach (not just in Komodo National Park) during safety stop in South Rinca is a treat, that you would find no where else in the world.

View attachment 448038 View attachment 448040

SoCal is also uniquely different than Komodo, like the kelp forest, sea hare, Garibaldi, California Sheephead, etc. (see my trip report Anacapa Diving, Sep 8-9, 2017, Trip Report ), but it is not as biodiversed as Komodo.
Do the dragons ever get in the water? I see videos where people get REALLY close to them. I wouldn't get that close unless I was armed or in a suit of armor...

Do the dragons ever get in the water? I see videos where people get REALLY close to them. I wouldn't get that close unless I was armed or in a suit of armor...

They do swim. However, they are ambushed predators. If you keep eyes on them & go in groups, they’ll leave you alone. We were guided by rangers or DMs in front & behind the group with long poles to keep them away from us.

Back
Top Bottom