Enclosed Dive Reel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeS

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I need a dive reel for wreck training and was looking at the Reef Scuba reels. One of them is enclosed. It seems like this would be a good idea to prevent overruns and/or bird nesting. With most things though there is no free lunch so I’m wondering what the down side to enclosed reels are.

Can anyone that has actually used a Reef Scuba Enclosed Reel comment on the pros and cons of enclosed versus open reels?

Thanks,
Mike

MikeS,
What gives you the idea that open reels can cause bird nesting?

*must suppress laughter*

Hey Mike

I have one of the enclosed reels and I haven't had any problems with it. It can jam and the line can slip out where the cover meets the sides. I guees you could birdnest or overrun it, but the tension knob works well. The thing I like about it I don't have to worry about anything snagging the line while it is on my reel and I am not paying attention.

Overall, I like the reel and Reef Scuba is a great outfit to deal with. Oh yeah, the reel is also easy to take apart and put back together underwater while wearing thick gloves for when it does jam. Been there and had to do it.

Ty

O-ring once bubbled...
MikeS,
What gives you the idea that open reels can cause bird nesting?

*must suppress laughter*

I observed an overrun that resulted in bird nesting during a cyber dive, or was that reality, I’m not sure? I seem to be loosing the ability to tell the difference. Is this a symptom of being DIR assimilated or just to much time daydreaming about diving while at work?

Mike

I observed an overrun that resulted in bird nesting during a cyber dive, or was that reality, I’m not sure? I seem to be loosing the ability to tell the difference. Is this a symptom of being DIR assimilated or just to much time daydreaming about diving while at work?

Not sure if that was real...I know someone would like for it not to have been real....too funny. I don't think your problem is DIR related...just spending too much time thinking about diving.

BTW - Kevin (from our quarry dive) came by our meeting last night...I will shoot you and Matt an email when I get back from Morehead about setting up that club stuff so we can get moving on more local diving initiatives. We have a good base of people going if we can avoid killing each other over ideological issues :)

the main problem with an enclosed reel is that IF you do nest or otherwise foul it, there's no chance of clearing it. I used to have one and never had trouble with it but lately I'm just more comfortable with an open reel (I use a Halcyon).

Tom

Back
Top Bottom