Encouragement for diving students

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Jocasseegirl,

I've wanted to try diving since I was a kid. Although I almost drowned once and have a healthy respect for the water, I have no problem swimming or kayaking and it never occurred to me that I might be scared of diving. I signed up in July and I've been both looking forward to the class and, for some strange reason, seriously freaking myself out ever since. The day I signed up, a woman died diving near where I live. I saw it on the news and I haven't been able to stop thinking and dreaming about her. I've had terrible dreams about being dragged down into the depths and wonderful dreams about weightlessly swimming through space. On Monday, during our first pool session, I freaked out when I had to flood my mask and I stood up in the shallow end of the pool. I got myself under control and the rest of the dive went well. I was able to go to the bottom of the pool and exhange regulators. I was still a little spooked, but it was fun. I enjoyed myself.

The second pool session, last night, was one of the worst experiences of my life. I was able to jump in the pool just fine and that was fun, but something happened when he told us to go down to the bottom of the pool. I wasn't heavy enough and couldn't get more than a few feet down and then I just started freaking out. I went up to the top. The divemaster came up and talked to me and helped with my weight. I got on top of the fear and went back down. I felt good for a second, but right when I got down to the bottom the instructor motioned to me to flood my mask and I had a full blown panic attack. I've never experienced that kind of physical fear. I am having trouble breathing right now just thinking about it. I bolted for the surface, screaming through my regulator the whole way.

I was so ashamed of myself and so embarassed. Can't is not really a word in my vocabulary, but when I got to the shallow end of the pool I couldn't imagine EVER putting a regulator in my mouth again. When my instructor came up I was dressed and ready to explain to him that diving just isn't for me. But somehow, talking to him, I realized I really want to try again. My boyfriend is an avid diver and he's being very non-pushy about the whole thing and very supportive. We're going to go to his dad's hot tub this weekend and I'm just going to sit on the bottom and breathe through a reg without a mask. I'm having a problem with the feeling of water on my nose, so I'm hoping that will help.

The divemaster and instructor are both amazing. I'm going to try again, but I'm really scared and that kind of fear is a totally new sensation for me. The instructor told me that he'll meet with me on an extra day and work with me. I have a friend that used to be a dive instructor where I'm taking this class and so I know they get paid total crap - so I'm grateful. He's a sweetheart.

Your story was very encouraging. Cross your fingers for me.

--D

Tamalie, everything you are feeling is so incredibly normal! I wish you could have seen me back in July at my first lesson. I was like a bug lying on its back. I kept taking my mask off on the surface,too. Bill kept saying, "Debbie, you need to keep your mask on" - but I hated the feeling of being "suffocated." I left there feeling SO defeated and had pretty much decided that I wasn't going to continue. Have you snorkeled before? If not, I would suggest that you spend some time doing that and practicing keeping your face in the water for about 20 minutes. Something else that I learned about myself is this: I close my eyes as I put my face underwater, and open my eyes when I'm submerged. I was having a lot of anxiety watching the water slowing cover my mask. That helps me a lot. I guess my best advice to you would be to TAKE IT AT YOUR OWN PACE and don't feel pressured to do something just to keep up with the class. It's great that your boyfriend is a diver and that you have someone who can just go sit on the bottom with you. Trust me -- once you get over the apprehension of breathing underwater, the thrill of being weightless is awesome -- it's like being able to fly! Keep me posted -- I'm cheering for ya! :yelclap:

Jocasseegirl:
and then it just clicked! I knocked out all 5 confined dives in about 3 hours -

Congrats on making it! But, and I hate to be the party pooper here but three hours is pretty short. I don't think I could give the briefings and do the demonstrations in 3 hours, let alone have a student demonstrate mastery. In all my time teaching, I've never had a student (with the exception of those who were already divers and just needed to be certified) who could get good enough in 3 hours that I would be comfortable taking them to open water...and I've had some pretty athletic and confident students including competition swimmers, lifegaurds and a couple avid free divers. I guess that doesn't make it impossible but it's sure something that I can't imagine.

Hello!,

Saw the post this morning,,WAY TO GO!!!!,,,I have not dived at the lake yet, but plan on it when I return. Just hope it's not too cold.
I noticed the link at the bottom of your post and will be buying a copy soon. I have always been interested in the local lakes and the towns that were covered. Like the old town of Andersonville in Hartwell. There are a few threads on the board discussing this,,
Anyway, enjoy the dives and again congrats on OW!!!!

Thanks for your comments (MikeFerrara), but please keep in mind that I had already spent about 3 hours in the water doing confined dives in July . . . so technically I wasn't starting from scratch. Last weekend, we were able to do a review of what we had gone over previously - and that is the part that went quickly for me this time. I was very comfortable and relaxed, and it went far more smoothly this time. My instructor is top-notch. I had to do the skill until I got it right . . . then I could rest assured that I was going to have to do it over and over again during the course of my training to demonstrate to him that I knew it. After a point, I was even commenting that "you're gonna make me do this again??" Yup. Even when we surfaced from my last OW dive on Sunday (and I thought I was through) - he made me take off my gear in the water and put it back on one more time. I have a friend who is taking lessons from a local dive shop and, from talking with him, I am very thankful for thorough training. Apparently, one girl in his class had the idea that throwing her reg away and retrieving it consisted of dropping it in front of her and picking it back up. Her instructor passed her on that. I appreciate your concern - and perhaps in my zeal to encourage others, I thoughtlessly implied that we did 5 confined dives in 3 hours. In my mind, I was starting over, but looking back on it, I realize that I learned more from my first confined dives than I thought I had. Being able to have one-on-one instruction the whole time, for me, really helped. I had my instructor's full attention, and I was allowed to take things at my own pace. I feel very confident that - to the level I am trained - I am trained well. Good point made, and thanks for bringing that up.

sandjeep:
Hello!,

Saw the post this morning,,WAY TO GO!!!!,,,I have not dived at the lake yet, but plan on it when I return. Just hope it's not too cold.
I noticed the link at the bottom of your post and will be buying a copy soon. I have always been interested in the local lakes and the towns that were covered. Like the old town of Andersonville in Hartwell. There are a few threads on the board discussing this,,
Anyway, enjoy the dives and again congrats on OW!!!!

Jocassee Valley was beautiful, and part of my heart is 300 feet under that water. I look forward to hearing from you and sending you a copy!

Jocasseegirl,

I plan on diving the ramp this Saturday.My buddy from Georgia (Johnathon) is supposed to meet me there after he picks up some tanks from Bill.To answer your questions about the airplane,etc. There are 2 wings off the ramp and a propeller from a small plane (piper or cessna). One wing is at about 55-60 feet on the second line from the second platform running out to the motorboat.Sometimes you can see it from the upper line if the vis is good. It is laying under the tree that is leaning out on the second line. The skeleton (old Joe--not named after me) is tied to a hospital gurney near the motorboat at about 45 feet.There is also an old dentist chair.Lines run from the boat to the skeleton,etc.The second airplane wing and propeller are down the line off the second training platform.The propeller is propped up against a tree at about 115 feet. The wing is on the straigt line off the metal stob at about 120-130 feet.The line continues on into the forrest.

Needless to say, I would not try going into the forrest without additional training and certifications.I think PADI allows for a 60 foot dive with Open Water.Keep in mind 60 feet in Jocassee is totally different than 60 feet in Cozumel,Cayman, etc due to the cold and limited visability.I would think you would be ok going to the upper wing and skeleton as long as you are with a experienced diver that knows their way around Jocassee.The water is still pretty warm until you get below 80 feet.There is one mean thermal cline at about 100 feet---very cold and dark.It has taken me 5 years to get comfortable solo diving into the forrest, and I still find it spooky when I start bumping into small limbs.I find I do get NARCED at about 120-125 feet due to the COLD and DARKNESS!! I can tell my reaction time and judgement are effected but I have not seen any ghost or big sharks or anything.

As far as your training, you learned form a very good instructor. Those guys diving the Lodge and steel bridge are the "Top Guns" of the diving community.I know I could never do a 300-325 foot dive and live to tell about it.I once thought I was getting really good and maybe a little "cocky' until I spent some time talking to those technical diviers.They made me realize that I really dont know much about diving! I do believe I am now up to doing the graveyard.I know I can handle the depth but I dont know about the cold and I dont like doing decompression.I am just too fat and old to start that junk! You will find all types of divers at Jocasse from beginners to the very elite.I guess I am somewhere in the middle.I am doing far more than I ever thought I would when I first got certified.I can easily remember when doing 80 feet in Jocassee was a big deal for me.

I think we plan on doing two dives into the forrest on Saturday if we can stand the cold. I will probably do a 3rd dive if time allows and I would be happy to take you out to the upper wing and boat.Ask Bill if he thinks you are ready.

Hope to meet you at the lake,
Joe

Joe, thanks for all the great information! I definitely won't be going below 60 and will probably stay well above that for now - it would be great to see whatever I can see. We went to the junk last weekend, but the lake is down 5 feet, so it was 60 on the nose. I'm going to hog-tie one of the guys to just swim around the cove with me some. I want to explore the rocks, tree roots, look at fish, and just get in the water and practice my buoyancy (I tend to kick up some silt every now and then) :no I just want to take it slow and easy. We are going out to the Lodge site around 8-8:30 in the a.m. Bill should be back right after lunch, if all goes well and we get out there on time. Someone tends the shop for him when he's not there. Bill and Jackie are the tri-mix divers going tomorrow - hoping to get some better video, so I can see the old girl again. Drop by -- I'll be hanging around Bill's until sometime Sunday afternoon. Deb

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom