End of Oct water temps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rypark1999

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone,

I'm gonna be in Coz for the first time from 10/26 thru 11/2. I've searched this section regarding what wetsuit to wear and water temps during that time. It seems like upper 70s and lower 80s. Would this be correct?

I dove Maui in Sept and a shortie was perfectly fine. Therefore, I'm guessing a shortie would be plenty for me. Would this be a safe assumption?

Also, whats a "jumpsuit"? is this the same thing as a shortie?

Thanks

Water temps should be plenty warm for a shorty but its all dependant on the person. I wear no suit at all in Cozumel while my dive buddy shivers at the end of every dive wearing a 3mm shorty. I've also seen people diving in Coz in Aug wearing a full 3mm with boots, gloves, and hood. Your best bet is to pack plenty of exposure gear, you can always take it off:)

The temp will probably be about 81 ish degress give or take one on average. Regardless of the temps, you will typically need a little more exposure protection in Coz due to the fact that drift diving requires much less effort than diving without the aid of a consistant current. By current, I mean drift diving and not fighting the current but rather using it to your advantage. Chances are most of your dives in Coz will fall into this category.

Less effort means less movement and less movement means chilling faster. For my wife and I, much faster. I suggest adding a 3mm hood to whatever you normally wear in similiar temps. As for gloves, they aren't allowed in the Marine Park in Coz unless you are on the wreck or unless your DM doesn't enforce the rules. On my last trip divers on my boat that I didn't know were wearing knives and gloves in the Marine Park. Most of the diving in Coz takes place within the Marine Park. Have fun!

rypark1999:
Hi everyone,

I'm gonna be in Coz for the first time from 10/26 thru 11/2. I've searched this section regarding what wetsuit to wear and water temps during that time. It seems like upper 70s and lower 80s. Would this be correct?

I dove Maui in Sept and a shortie was perfectly fine. Therefore, I'm guessing a shortie would be plenty for me. Would this be a safe assumption?

Thanks
According to my divelog, on October 29 2004 it was 82 degrees at depth, 84 degrees on the surface in Cozumel. That was a couple of degrees warmer than what it was the previous February. Both times I wore my 3-5-3 mil full wetsuit, and was very comfortable.

If you were OK in a shorty in Hawaii you'll probably be fine in Cozumel as it's warmer there. Personally, I would wear more than a shorty - just to guard against stingies underwater and sunburn out of the water.

Jerry

rypark1999:
Jumpsuit refers to a one piece with full length arms and legs, different from a shorty. (There's something to be said for covering up from sun and stingy things.)

I wear a 3m shorty also, and am fine. However as the week goes on or 4 dives in one day you may start to get chilled. Doing 2 dives a day for 3 days you should be fine. Many do not wear any suits, alot of people wear skins (just a very light full body covering less than 1m) also known as jumpsuit. You never know if those little jelly fish will be floating around, they will give you a sting that is just a little irritating but no more than a mosquito bite.
If you remove any wet suit and dry off as soon as you get back on the boat you will warm up quickly. Most people make the mistake of leaving the wetsuit on or only removing the upper half thinking it will keep them warm don't make that mistake. The air temp will be upper 80's low 90's so dry skin will warm fast. Many operators supply towels so you don't have to bring your own.
Also bring bug juice with DEET for the beach! The no see ums can eat you up.
If you need a good dive operator try www.bottomtimedivers.net Raul is great.
Lou

loudives:
Also bring bug juice with DEET for the beach! The no see ums can eat you up.

:shocked: :doh: I completely did not even think about the no see-ums and bug juice. I have juice with DEET and will not forget to take it. Thanks for the heads up. :D

I gotta also worry about stingies :doh: hhmmmm... will I be able to see them and avoid them or are they small little buggers that sneak up on you? :eek:ctopus: (not quite a jelly but close enough)

vinegar water clears the stinging, right?

I was there 3 weeks ago and the little milky stingers were there but very few. They were not a problem. They are usally shallow 15' or less. The burnt orange ones that float, no where to be found. If you do see a bunch take your reg. and release some air in a circular motion and surface inside. They don't like the bubbles and tend to float away. The no see ums on the beach were everywhere. I think it was because of alot off sea weed washed ashore from the storms earlier. The Hotels were cleaning it up so it should be pretty clean by now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom