End of the season

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seasons? We don' need no steenking seasons (see my sig line) ... :D

SnowPics0036.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The end of my local dive season means the start of my dive travel season :wink:

You took the words right our of my mouth. It's still warm in Florida. And the Caribbean is open year round.

Bob, thats true, but you need buddies.... seem everyone around my neck of the woods heads to warmer climates for diving.... bunch of babies....

Bob, thats true, but you need buddies.... seem everyone around my neck of the woods heads to warmer climates for diving.... bunch of babies....

It depends. Most of my winter diving is solo, actually. In fact, last winter I built a small rock reef at about 60 fsw without either a buddy or any assistance. You just need to plan and prepare for it.

Then again, I live five minutes from the dive site, it's easy access (most of the time, when the wind's not kicking in from the west like it was last night), and I've dived there hundreds of times. Most folks don't have those advantages.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

As the local dive is the Niagara River, it gets a little challenging to do solo a couple mile drift.... :D. There isn't really anything in regard to the lakes here (mostly Lake Erie). It would be "interesting" to wait for the ice ,and snowmobile to the wrecks (typically 3-4 miles offshore), cut a hole, and explore..... :hm:

Last edited:
My local season ends with the ice which usually hits late November then restarts in March when we no longer would need a chainsaw to get in the water. I dive dry so it's better in the Spring and Fall as I tend to cook in it in the summer during my SI, I only live a few miles from the dive sites so I typically suit up at home, drive there, hop in and then drive home in my drysuit where I can just hose my suit off while I'm still wearing it. Usually most of the wetsuit divers stop diving in early to mid October here. Currently the air temp is 50-60 and the water temp is 40-50 so I'm not even phased by it. I actually prefer the Spring and Fall for diving. Much less boat traffic and better viz.
I'll trade my fins for a board and hit the ski hill in December as the resorts here typically don't open until after Thanksgiving so it works out well.

gcarter, Keep your eyes open on ebay and Scubaboard also. You never know when you may score a great deal on a used drysuit. I found mine on ebay and have been diving it for going on three seasons now. Gotta love the St Lawrence in winter. 70-100' vis and not alot of surface traffic. I would however recommend a neo suit for the added warmth. You'll not regret it!!

It's well past end of the season for us locally. I'm sad because I was sick last month, otherwise we may have gotten another dive weekend in. Now I just have to wait until December when we go to Mexico for a week.

What is this "end of season" you speak of? haha

We get 85F on average year round in the water, but the good thing about "winter" is that there are less visitors at the beaches and there's less of a mess and better chance of getting good parking spots.

My only problem is finding a diving bud :/

The end of one season only leads to the next...

My dives this past Sunday started driving in the dark, then then rain, changed to snow, back to rain. Got to the dive site, put dry suit on 9am did 3 dives with good SI for the wet suited divers, took dry suit off 4pm drove home. got home in the dark. A great start to the Fall scuba season.
There is no end of diving season in fact I think the best diving of the year in Ontario is just getting here.
Will be getting out a few more times before Santa arrives. Plan to start 2014 with a Jan 1 dive. Location to be determined based on floating ICE chunks..

Back
Top Bottom