Enriched Air Nitrox Certification - Why such variance in cost?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On Amazon elearning is $129, the book is $58.

The prices around here shown online are $75 to $100 and the lesser amount does not include a card and it is unclear if the larger amount does.

The card is around $40

Because the shop has a different price than what you can get online there is room for negotiation on a price when going through a shop, if they are willing. It pays to shop and find out what is included in each deal.

When I certified Nitrox with my buddy, I bought the book and tables on ebay, and the class was $100 apiece including cards, but the instructor did travel to our location for a private class.

Bob

Check out dives for nitrox are silly IMO. They ALREADY know how to dive, so with nitrox what actual diving skills would they be looking for during a checkout dive?
I think it was smart to drop it.

When I did nitrox in 2000 it was $199.00. One class of theory at night during the week and following Saturday was the two required check out dives. That price included the materials and a 32% table and a 36% table, plus another table and chart to calculate any mix from 22% up to 40% and an O2 exposure table.

Later I did advanced nitrox through TDI and that was way more money.

On Amazon elearning is $129, the book is $58.

The prices around here shown online are $75 to $100 and the lesser amount does not include a card and it is unclear if the larger amount does.

The card is around $40

Because the shop has a different price than what you can get online there is room for negotiation on a price when going through a shop, if they are willing. It pays to shop and find out what is included in each deal.

When I certified Nitrox with my buddy, I bought the book and tables on ebay, and the class was $100 apiece including cards, but the instructor did travel to our location for a private class.

Bob

I didn't even think to check Amazon - Wow, it looks like they can get you all the way through the PADI Instructor Development Course.

I originally included Nitrox with an Advanced course for about $75. My instructor, Peter Oliver, wrote the book.

I paid $164 for the online learning course - no extra books or supplies. I did my EAN checkout as part of my advanced open water course. They asked me a few questions, watched me analyze a couple of tanks, and then we dove on nitrox for my 5 AOW dives. No extra charge for the dives, just for the nitrox.

The dive op I go with frequently is advertising a $99 nitrox certification special. It is in their best interest to get lots of EAN certified divers, as they charge an additional $10 - $12 per tank for nitrox, which is a good profit generator.

I didn't even think to check Amazon - Wow, it looks like they can get you all the way through the PADI Instructor Development Course.

It may help if you then negotiate with your shop, if Amazon has room to reduce the price, so does your shop. In the end, I'd rather give the shop money if they are more reasonable on the price.

Bob

Check out dives for nitrox are silly IMO. They ALREADY know how to dive, so with nitrox what actual diving skills would they be looking for during a checkout dive?
I think it was smart to drop it.

When I did nitrox in 2000 it was $199.00. One class of theory at night during the week and following Saturday was the two required check out dives. That price included the materials and a 32% table and a 36% table, plus another table and chart to calculate any mix from 22% up to 40% and an O2 exposure table.

Later I did advanced nitrox through TDI and that was way more money.

To a greater degree, I agree that the Nitrox checkout dives are not really necessary. However, it is a different breathing gas than what you are normally used to and for some folks, that will cause a degree of anxiety until actually breathed in an underwater situation. Those checkout dives might be comparable to a shakedown dive for a new piece of equipment, but how many of us do that either?

At the risk of going out on a tangent, @Eric Sedletzky , If I could get a new Freedom Plate in time for a check-out dive prior to our upcoming trip, I will. However, I would not be afraid to check it out on the first dive of our summer vacation. Hint......Hint......

$330 sounds wrong. Something is missing here. We have student sign up for PADI online enriched air, they complete online work,print out completion form,bring it in, they. Come in to our facility for 30-45 minutes. Take quick review exam,use gas analyzer , log mix on sheet. Only fee they pay is to PADI for online access..there is no other fee to be paid here. None for c card ,nada, nothing,zero..

$330 sounds wrong. Something is missing here. We have student sign up for PADI online enriched air, they complete online work,print out completion form,bring it in, they. Come in to our facility for 30-45 minutes. Take quick review exam,use gas analyzer , log mix on sheet. Only fee they pay is to PADI for online access..there is no other fee to be paid here. None for c card ,nada, nothing,zero..

I agree, $330 sounds wrong, but upon a little closer examination it seems to indicate that this course is a 'one-on-one' instructor to student experience in a minimum four hour classroom environment. Throw on the PADI fees and the now the price seems reasonable for what you get. The only question remaining is 'can I get the same learning in another (read more economical) learning environment?'

If I were to come into your shop, having completed the $129 PADI EANx course offered on Amazon, would you still offer the quick review exam, use gas analyzer, log mix on sheet for free? If so, I think you would be providing a service that many would want to take advantage of.

I think it should be clear from this thread that the individual costs are pretty much determined by the individual shop or instructor. It is pretty much like everything else you buy--if you shop around, you will find the same items being sold at very different prices.

IMO, one reason for this is a holdover from the old days, when Nitrox was considered voodoo gas and extremely dangerous. It was believed that very high levels of training were needed to dive it safely, and so that training cost a lot. Today thinking has moved more toward the "no big deal" end of the spectrum, and attitudes toward that training are still changing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom