Entry level computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think aeris makes a nice wrist nitrox computer for abut $175. XR-1NX or something like that.
I have an Aeris I'd like to sell for $100. Aeris replaced it because the first one had a bad sensor. It has only about 4-5 dives on it.
I don't really like it because it doesn't have a backlight and I do a lot of night and low-vis dives, plus my eyes don't see well in dim light. In clear tropical waters for somebody without eye issues its a great entry level. It's the XR1.

..... I have looked at the Zoop, Puck, and sub leonardo......
Whatever brand / model you end up buying, make sure you learn how to properly use it.
At DCT we have classes for all 3 models (and more)

---------- Post added September 15th, 2013 at 08:47 PM ----------

I also say Mares PUCK .............. You can get a computer thingy/instruction video when you buy it for about 5 buck that helps you get started with it, well worth it. Good Luck.
Do you mean the Puck online class ?

Personally I hate the Puck having used it as a rental at a previous workplace- the morse code needed to scroll back through dives (single button) is a PITA. I'm happy with the ZOOP for my current rental computer. Simple to use and easy to read.

NDL conservatism in diving is a good thing- even more so for beginners who sometimes make 'beginner' mistakes. Suunto RGBM algorithms penalise you for certain things eg. ascent speed, however these 'penalties' are earned and therefore warranted IMO. There is another penalty for a 'reverse profile' which is debatable whether or not it is warranted...

I've been diving with various Suunto computers for years and I've never felt the NDL was unduly limited. There are of course more 'aggressive' models out there but as an entry level computer, I'm in favour of Suunto's slightly conservative nature.

Oceanic Veo 2.0 has the largest digits of the entry level Computers, readability was my highest priority at the time of purchase three years ago.
It offers a backlight, user changeable battery, gauge mode and nitrox capability and two different algorithms (DSAT and Pelagic Z+) two levels of conservatism and automatic switch to altitude mode above 3000ft

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom