Entry Level Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Be sure you get one that works with Nitrox, has a backlight, and if you want to log the dives to your computer - has sync ability - The gekko does not sync to the computer...:lotsalove:

Hi,
I'm a recently certified diver and I was wondering if folks had recommendations for a beginner dive computer. I've never dove with a computer so I'm not sure what to look for feature-wise. Also, if anyone has a sense for the price range I should look for, and where the best deals are in the Boston area, I'd appreciate that too.

Can you replace the batteries on the gekko and stinger yourself?

@Hebron Hill: Slightly off-topic, but I'll answer anyway. Suunto markets the Gekko with a user replaceable battery. It's very easy to change. The Gekko is a very simple computer with no active backlight functionality, so the batteries last a loooooong, looooong time. The phosphorescent screen glows quite nicely when charged with a handheld light. Although Suunto doesn't market it this way, dive profile info can be downloaded from the Gekko to a PC or Mac. The Gekko is a great value for the price. It appears to have many of the "guts" of a Suunto Vyper. AFAIK, there is no way to access a hidden "gauge" mode on the Gekko..

The Stinger, on the other hand, is supposed to be taken to an authorized Suunto shop for battery change. I hear that it can be expensive. However, as with all things, you can do it yourself. Here's a link to a webpage that shows how it's done. The Stinger is more watch-like in dimensions than the Gekko.

Hope this info helps...

only gekko has a user replaceable battery

Back
Top Bottom