Entry level drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JAWISA1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am interested in purchasing an entry level drysiuit to be used mostly in local dive sites such as quarries and lakes near St. Louis where water temps can get down to 40 degrees. Can anyone recommend a good starter suit as I want a decent suit but don't want to bust the bank? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
James

Hey James, I was always sceptical about e-bay, but I got a great deal on a new Whites Neopreene Drysuit there. Leisurepro and others have had a deal going on Bare Next Gen laminate drysuites with undergarments for around $799, be sure to check manufacturers sizing charts first. Maybe someone on the board will have a decent used one for you as well. Good luck.

Check out diverightinscuba.com he's having a 25% off all drysuits sale. You can pick up a Pinnacle Freedom for $600 & change. This would be a nice beginner suit.

My buddy has the Bare NextGen, and seems to be a good suit at a good price. My first suit was a used DUI one off of Ebay...it ended up having a couple of leaks, and I had to send it out for wrist & neck seals in addition. I wouldn't go the used route, unless you know that the seals are good, or else, budget the money for getting them swapped out.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I am torn between an inexpensive drysuit or a good quality tight fitting wetsuit as the cost of a decent drysuit is at least $500 verses a good wesuit at around $250.00. I have had my old wetsuit for 14 years and it still fits quite well but the newer material used today seems to be a vast improvement over the old.

I am torn between an inexpensive drysuit or a good quality tight fitting wetsuit as the cost of a decent drysuit is at least $500 verses a good wesuit at around $250.00.

If you're only going to dive during the summer, a wetsuit might be fine. But try diving here in the midwest in the early spring or late fall when the air temperatures can be lower than the water temperature. You might be fine in your wetsuit in 50* water, but when you are exposed to 50* air while being wet, that's a different story. Extending my diving season is the primary reason a drysuit will be my next purchase.

No probs. with used suits. The one I have now is an Andy's that's like brand new. Had new seals put on at my LDS for $95 (that's seals & labor, neck seal had a tear). I have $400 into suit & it looks brand new.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom