Entry Level Underwater Cameras. Advice welcome :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with Jack. TG-4 is a great entry level starter camera.

I claim neither of your 2 proposed choices should be considered entry level. I class them as "prosumer" (except wikipedia seems to have a new definition for that word...getting old sucks). You should be able to get an entry level setup for much less dollars. Do you really want / need an entry level rig?

What type of photography experience / background do you have?
What type of photos do you want to achieve? Happy snaps? Super macro? Wide angle? Do you know yet?

I always suggest that "raw beginners" purchase the least expensive camera that meets their immediate needs and capability. You can then consider your first camera as a disposable cost part of your learning curve.

I have seen way too many
- ads for nearly new prosumer cameras
- divers dragging expensive rigs around that they did not understand and could not operate

If we know more about your background and photo goals, then you may get a lot more relevant input.

A few reasons I want to start taking photos underwater. It's more visual for a trip diary, and I could easily figure out what I see down there. Also, my niece just turned 3 and she loves animals as much as I do. I showed her some of the photos and videos I got from recent trips (courtesy of some fellow divers I met on boats), and she was totally fascinated by the water world. I'd love to show her more of the amazing ocean.

As for experience, well, I rented an underwater camera with housin when I did my first liveaboard after 4 dives (yep, I was the rookiest rookie on that boat :p), and needless to say I ended up with quite a few photos of fish butts lol

I now have about 50 dives logged, so still a newbie comparing to many of you here, and I mostly dive in the temperate waters.

I agree that both G7X and RX100 are probably not the most entery level cameras, but I figured if I do like taking photos and continue diving with a camera, I would have to upgrade for a better camera if the first one is too basic.

I happen to have a canon s100 + fisheye fix housing for sale. A great starter camera capable of nice shots.
Either way, I'd recommend you to buy a flash. It adds so much detail at close range.

Sample image (using a flash and close up lens)
View attachment 375908

Great shot! Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to take the camera/housing off your hands... I live in Asia these day, so...

Last edited:
I would also look at buying a used entry level camera. Let them take the hit on the price. Let's say you buy new and really get hooked on doing uw photography but you have an entry level camera. Next you want to upgrade. When you go to sell yours you typically get a fraction of what you paid for it.

I haven't checked the classifieds here but it would be a great place to start.

Which is better (between G7x and RX100IV) for a macro focused experience, with the ability to use the camera as a regular "on the surface" camera. I have a TG3 + housing which is pretty good but I want to move up.

PS: Will be selling my TG3 + Housing soon if anyone is looking.. PM Me.

PPS: Sorry - didnt mean to hijack your post. @Land Fish

For anyone who is not a pro that needs top of the line, I would say to do your research and look at the used market.

I'm about a week or two ahead of you in the camera shopping game.

A new TG-4 and housing looks like $600 - 700 (-ish).

I just got a mint, used Olympus mirrorless with 2 lenses (one of which will be just fine for me for starting out underwater stuff). The camera with lenses plus the cost of a brand new Meikon housing is coming out right at the same as a new TG-4 with housing. And I have a much higher quality camera plus a nice telephoto lens that I can use when I'm out of the water.

Last I checked, there were 2 Olympus PEN Mini (E-PM1, I think?) rigs in the Classifieds here. Both came with the Olympus housing and both were under $400, ready to go diving.

Another nice thing about buying used is, if you do a semi-decent job of shopping before you buy, you can usually sell it later for nearly what you paid. Unlike buying new, where you'll typically lose at least half your money if you decide to sell it later. The seller gave me his original receipt with the camera I bought. I paid him just over 1/3 of what he paid for it. And he was happy to get it.

All that said, while I was looking for a used rig, I was also still considering buying new. I had concluded that for my purposes, if I did buy new, I would get a Sony RX100 Mk II (not the latest Mk IV). They can be had new for about $600. With a Meikon housing, that would be about $850, total. A bit more than a TG-4 with housing. But, from my research, it seemed like the extra money would be well worth it. The RX100 Mk II does not have as good video capabilities as the Mk IV. But, they have pros and cons for still photos that seem to make them roughly a wash in that regard. Some people definitely claim the Mk II is a better choice for still photos. And it's a lot cheaper.

On a side note : G7X MKII is just out - as seen on local CANON website

Which is better (between G7x and RX100IV) for a macro focused experience, with the ability to use the camera as a regular "on the surface" camera. I have a TG3 + housing which is pretty good but I want to move up.

PS: Will be selling my TG3 + Housing soon if anyone is looking.. PM Me.

PPS: Sorry - didnt mean to hijack your post. @Land Fish

Haha~ no worrries

Thanks for the feedback on TG3 :)

For anyone who is not a pro that needs top of the line, I would say to do your research and look at the used market.

I'm about a week or two ahead of you in the camera shopping game.

A new TG-4 and housing looks like $600 - 700 (-ish).

I just got a mint, used Olympus mirrorless with 2 lenses (one of which will be just fine for me for starting out underwater stuff). The camera with lenses plus the cost of a brand new Meikon housing is coming out right at the same as a new TG-4 with housing. And I have a much higher quality camera plus a nice telephoto lens that I can use when I'm out of the water.

Last I checked, there were 2 Olympus PEN Mini (E-PM1, I think?) rigs in the Classifieds here. Both came with the Olympus housing and both were under $400, ready to go diving.

Another nice thing about buying used is, if you do a semi-decent job of shopping before you buy, you can usually sell it later for nearly what you paid. Unlike buying new, where you'll typically lose at least half your money if you decide to sell it later. The seller gave me his original receipt with the camera I bought. I paid him just over 1/3 of what he paid for it. And he was happy to get it.

All that said, while I was looking for a used rig, I was also still considering buying new. I had concluded that for my purposes, if I did buy new, I would get a Sony RX100 Mk II (not the latest Mk IV). They can be had new for about $600. With a Meikon housing, that would be about $850, total. A bit more than a TG-4 with housing. But, from my research, it seemed like the extra money would be well worth it. The RX100 Mk II does not have as good video capabilities as the Mk IV. But, they have pros and cons for still photos that seem to make them roughly a wash in that regard. Some people definitely claim the Mk II is a better choice for still photos. And it's a lot cheaper.

Hey Stuart, thanks for such a detailed reply, I appreciate it.

You and others are right about the used gears. I'll have a look at local forums. I might be able to find some good deals here but after international shipping, so I'm not sure if would still be good then.

Having had a look at TG-4, I don't think I'm going for it. It's an improved version of Nikkon Coolpix aw100, which is what I have, and I suppose what I'm after is probably more intermediary rather than absolute entry level. The costs of cameras vary greatly, but the price tags for housings are not that far from each other (not talking about the high-end/sophisticated systems that would put your photos on Nat Geo). So since I'm going to need a housing, I might as well get a slightly more capable camera that would last me for a while (I hope!! :D).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom