Environmental seal worth it for saltwater use? General service questions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sonic04GT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

Four years ago I had my Atomic B2 DIN environmentally sealed for $50 hoping to keep my 1st stage in better condition while diving saltwater here in South Florida but I haven't been diving very frequently since then. I'm trying to get back into it and the reg hasn't been serviced since September 2010 when I had it sealed and the 2-year service done as well. Of course I'm going to get it serviced soon (along with my Atomic SS1) which is quoted around $100+ with the parts kits. I forgot about the chrystolube on top of that $100+ (I assume another $40?). Now looking at $140-150 for service.

My questions are:

Is this something that is truly worth it for warm saltwater diving or should I have it removed and put the standard ring back on?

Are the parts kits required for every service or only when worn parts are discovered during the inspection? I was told my regulator looked great when I had it serviced in 2010 (purchased in 2008) as I'm very meticulous with my gear, yet I was still charged the $40 for both 1st/2nd stage parts kits on top of the labor.

Money is tight, but I'm trying to not let it get in my way of enjoying diving once again.

I found this bag among my dive stuff recently. It was given to me when I had the 2010 service done. I'm assuming they're unused parts? Or as stated on the package, just not required for the B2? They don't appear used but who knows. I don't think I ever received the non-sealed ring with the holes in it after service now that I think about it.

Photo_Jun_17_6_24_18_PM.jpg

Photo_Jun_17_6_40_14_PM.jpg

Attachments

• Photo_Jun_17_6_40_14_PM.jpg
    Photo_Jun_17_6_40_14_PM.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 96
  • Photo_Jun_17_6_24_18_PM.jpg
    Photo_Jun_17_6_24_18_PM.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
those may be the old parts they replaced.

That's what I was thinking, but they all look great! Is it standard practice to just replace all those items during the 2-year interval even if they look fine?

In warm water, the christolube packing may keep your ambient chamber real clean; but good soaking and cleaning after dive will work fine also.

I'm unclear as to why you think your gear needs to be serviced. Have you performed a good inspection to see if service might be needed?

Yes, replacement without inspection is fairly standard practice. A good way to avoid service related problems is to avoid unnecessary service.

In warm water, the christolube packing may keep your ambient chamber real clean; but good soaking and cleaning after dive will work fine also.

I'm unclear as to why you think your gear needs to be serviced. Have you performed a good inspection to see if service might be needed?

Yes, replacement without inspection is fairly standard practice. A good way to avoid service related problems is to avoid unnecessary service.
Well Atomic says it should be serviced every 2 years and it has been mostly sitting for roughly the last 3 years. There's nothing out of the ordinary but the time lapse doesn't really warrant an inspection?

I will be diving with a 30cf pony tank but I don't want that to become an excuse to become complacent either.

I'm still diving an ST1 first stage I bought new in 2010, and it has yet to be serviced. It's putting out a rock-steady 135psi IP and I soak it while pressurized after each use. Almost all of my M1s are in the same boat re: length of time since last service/proper behavior despite that: I do have one I've pulled from use because it's exhibiting odd behavior (popping sound from 1st stage after depressurization) in spite of a steady IP. Once I have a second stage that needs a rebuild, I'll get them serviced together.

AA's suggestion is what it is, and you're free to do what you like, but I don't service something that's working just fine--I consider it paying money to introduce new opportunities for something to go wrong. An inspection, whether by you or by a tech, would be a good idea...but that's rather different than a service (or at least it should be).

As to your sealed/unsealed question, I would suggest skipping the sealing unless you're (a) diving water in the mid 40F range or below, (b) diving in silty/gritty environments (inside wrecks and/or a lot of surf entries), and/or (c) using the 1st stage for 50% or higher O2 mixes. Those applications aside, I side with those who believe that sealing's downsides (extra $40-$50 each service and making it harder to really soak all the salt out of the reg) outweigh its upsides (less likely to get stuff in the reg, less likely to freeze up, safer for high O2 because of less risk of contamination). I have a B2 and an M1 that are both unsealed, and they're clean as whistles inside...because I soak the Hell out of them regularly. But I don't use them for the things mentioned above.

The above is good advice. When I started learning about servicing regs the tech taught me to first check the reg for corrosion, undue wear, then bench test it. If everything checks out then return it to service. The most critical is the bench test to set how the HP seat is working, i.e. does it lock up with no more than 5 psi in 5 minutes. So how to not to need service? soak (not rinse) the regs after usage. Probably the biggest issue for most reg. Then make sure it is dry before putting it away. My Z2s went 5 years before they really needed to be serviced. But we rotated regs so had it been a single reg the time frame would have been shorter.

As for sealing. I see only three reasons for sealing - a reg used for high O2, cold water usage, and a Ti reg. Otherwise it is a lot money in Cristo-lube. But it does seem to help sell regs.

So my suggestion would be to find a tech who will do an inspection as described above and go from there.

Thanks for the responses. I think I'll hold off for now. I forgot I had an IP gauge in my kit. It holds a pretty solid 132ish and nothing else has ever seemed odd. I never really soaked my regs but I rinse the crap out of them while pressurized.

When I eventually do have it serviced I may have the environmental seal removed. Paid $50 to have it installed but oh well. Maybe it served some good over that time span. It was an impulse buy at the time as I thought I was doing good for my reg but it seems very negligible for my type of diving I guess.

Are there any specific indications you guys look for in determining that a reg should be serviced?

Last edited:

As for sealing. I see only three reasons for sealing - a reg used for high O2, cold water usage, and a Ti reg. Otherwise it is a lot money in Cristo-lube. But it does seem to help sell regs.

So my suggestion would be to find a tech who will do an inspection as described above and go from there.

Why do you suggest seal for Ti reg? reason?

Why do you suggest seal for Ti reg? reason?

Mostly to reduce the chance of contaminants getting into the HP chamber and providing a source of ignition. While the chance of something working its way from the ambient chamber into the HP chamber is slim. I am not taking about a particle but hydrocarbons such as oil from a boat. That could reach the piston which goes between the ambient chamber and the HP chamber. So a bit of hedging bets like using a monel instead of a stainless piston. All a slight chance but simple to do given I service my regs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom