"Epic" flights Jakarta - Manado with Batik air.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wisnu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I write this thread in the Concordia lounge in Manado airport while waiting our flight to Jakarta, after spent 6 days in Lembeh.

50 minutes delay on the outbound flight from Jakarta to Manado. After 40 minutes flying, the flight returned to Jakarta airport due technical issue. They managed to fix the problem. Landed safely in Manado airport, with 4 hours delay. I missed the afternoon dive.
Diving in lembeh is always amazing, but this thread is not about diving.

Our flight to Jakarta supposed to depart yesterday, yes, yesterday, last flight at 15:20. Our flight was delayed approx an hour. Few seconds after the plane moved for takeoff, the pilot aborted for technical problem and return to the apron.
Having waited for 5 hours, the flight was cancelled; no other flight available, rescheduled for next day flights. We received a compensation Rp. 300,000 (USD 21),. No accomodation and transportation are provided.
The next day morning first flight is almost full. Most of economic class passengers are allocated to the next flight. We are in biz class.

Stayed one night at Novotel hotel, now waiting our flight to Jakarta.
Boarding call now, let see.

Stinks. I hope all goes well from here on out. Lion/Batik are fine... until everything goes down the toilet. I do not fly them- full stop.

Finally, landed safely in Jakarta 17 hours after the original plan.
Now what? Have you missed your flight home?

Finally, landed safely in Jakarta 17 hours after the original plan.
Bummer @Wisnu

My biggest concern a couple of months ago was any issue with internal flights when I flew from MDC to DPS on Lion Air, but thankfully it went smoother than I expected.

No wonder so many experienced divers recommended "buffer time" if anyone want to catch an expensive LoB or international connection in the country.

I don't like the midnight express out of Jakarta but I'll take it and then I spend the day and another night at the SwissBel to be rested for the lob. Also, that's the buffer time thrown in.

50 minutes delay on the outbound flight from Jakarta to Manado. After 40 minutes flying, the flight returned to Jakarta airport due technical issue. They managed to fix the problem.
Similar experience happened to me 3 weeks ago in the Philippines with the local AirAsia subsidiary.
10 minutes before arrival while I could see the landing airport from my window, the plane started doing circles, captain announced there was a safety problem and flew back to the closest international airport (Mactan, where a maintenance station was available) it litterally stopped on the runway and was towed to a maintenance ground where the problem was fixed in 30 minutes, we eventually flew to the destination airport with 1hr delay.

Now I suspect 2 years without flying doesn't do any good to the aircrafts and that it will take a lot of maintenance back to get them as sharp to fly as of march 2020, independantly of the carrier name.
We will probably go through one year of various flight issues/delays (I have been told that even in Europe we never have had as many maintenance reports as we have now)... hoping fingers crossed it will not cause fatal problems.

Similar experience happened to me 3 weeks ago in the Philippines with the local AirAsia subsidiary.
10 minutes before arrival while I could see the landing airport from my window, the plane started doing circles, captain announced there was a safety problem and flew back to the closest international airport (Mactan, where a maintenance station was available) it litterally stopped on the runway and was towed to a maintenance ground where the problem was fixed in 30 minutes, we eventually flew to the destination airport with 1hr delay.

Now I suspect 2 years without flying doesn't do any good to the aircrafts and that it will take a lot of maintenance back to get them as sharp to fly as of march 2020, independantly of the carrier name.
We will probably go through one year of various flight issues/delays (I have been told that even in Europe we never have had as many maintenance reports as we have now)... hoping fingers crossed it will not cause fatal problems.
Could be.
Quite a lot of cancellations of Lion Air and Batik Air planes due to technical problems in the local news.
My other mistake was, I booked the last flight of the day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom