Equalising issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

anni

Reaction score
Hi

I started diving again a few weeks ago after an absence of a month or so. I've never had any problems equalising before. Now whenever I descend I can't equalise my left ear. So I hang about in the water, or swim over everyone else, trying to equalise. Then even though my ears don't pop like they usually do, I'm able to gradually descend without feeling any pain. Sometimes it takes me 5 minutes to arrive down beside my buddy. Then, later on in the dive my ears suddenly decide to equalise and go POP! But not painful or anything and I suffer no pain afterwards.

My question is how am I able to get down at all without feeling like my ear has equalised properly and am I damaging myself by doing this?

Howdy anni:

A diver can suffer ear barotrauma in as little as 5' (1.5m) of water. If they're getting below 10-15' (3-4.5m) and not suffering any barotrauma, they likely are equalizing at least somewhat if not "properly". The effects of a barotrauma injury can range from a minor nuisance to a life threatening emergency. Divers who routinely have difficulty clearing should probably have an evaluation by a good ear, nose, and throat (ENT) physician to see if the problem can be corrected.

HTH,

Bill

The above information is intended for discussion purposes only and is not meant as specific medical advice for any individual.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom