equalization strategies beyond the basics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rightisleft

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've been scouring google and youtube looking for information on how to improve my equalization techniques.

I've been open water certified for close to a decade, and easily did my AOW last week. (25+ dives)

I've always always always struggled with equalization, more so below 35 ft. Using the Valsalva and Toynbee maneuvers i can eventually equalize given enough time. But i end gulping air while trying to execute. (Not to mention my group getting pissed off at me for hanging out halfway to the depth goal )

I've always associated my troubles with the fact that i have chronic allergies. I assume my sinus cavity is just a war zone.

What has worked well for people with the same issue? Would an otolaryngologist be able to prescribe me anything to assist?

Current strategy: go slow, swallow a little water to help with the Toynbee, 24 hour decongestant.

(Yes i know meds are suspect: )

I find Flonase helps as well.

12 your decongestant is better.

My wife has problems also. She just saw an ENT and he gave some new (to us) advice. These are geared more towards multi day diving, but may help.
Take Sudafed a couple hours before the flight leaves if flying. He thought that part of her problem on the last trip was not being able to equalize on the plane.
Take Afrin an hour or so before diving each day, and add Sudafed the next day if Afrin wasn't enough.
(Try Afrin and Sudafed while at home before the trip to make sure you don't have any adverse reactions like high blood pressure.)
He felt the Afrin was a better choice than Flonase for diving purposes. We haven't had a chance to try this yet, so YMMV.

I agree that learning how to Frenzel equalise might be helpful. Works for freediving as well since it allows equalising when inverted.

Hi there - I just posted a thread regarding the Eustachian tube balloon procedure, as I've struggled with my ears also. I can equalize, I hear the "pop" and I feel the pressure release, but I continually deal with ear pain.

I also have year-round, chronic allergies and I'm always at least a little congested. I start decongestants two weeks before a dive trip and also use a neti pot to clean/sooth my sinuses. I start gently equalizing the morning of a dive, hours before, to make sure I even can and I take a decongestant about 1-2 hours before a dive. I don't use the nasal sprays - I've used them in the past and dealt with bloody noses - so they are just not for me.

Make sure you equalize before you get in the water, on the surface and as soon as your head is underwater. Go feet first and look up to stretch your Eustachian tubes. I also stretch left or right if one ear is being particularly annoying. I have tried a hood, but I just hated it so much and switched to vented earplugs and they seem to help a bit. Equalize early, often and gently and don't forget to do the same on ascent.

I've had groups annoyed with me, too, but I just don't care anymore. I've had two ear barotraumas - once when I was going through certification classes and didn't know any better and once when I wasn't experiencing any ear pain at all and was constantly equalizing and ascending very slowly. We typically shore dive in Bonaire so we don't worry about groups, but I always tell guides and groups that I might take awhile to get down because of my ears. Normally once I'm past 25'ish feet, I'm fine - but getting there can take a long time. I almost always have at least one other person that says, "Oh good! I thought I was the only one!"

I have a consult with an otolaryngologist next week regarding the procedure. I'll post an update after my meeting and also if I go through with it. I'll be diving again in July!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom