Equalize? With head up like a nosebleed or chin down on chest?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another trick to use is put your tongue on the roof of your mouth and jut your jaw forward

I'll second that! I do that very exact method if I find myself in trouble to clear my ears and it works every time. I have very narrow canal passages and sometimes it can be uncomfortable trying to equalize. I'll ascend a few feet, put pressure against the roof of my mouth with my tongue, stretch out my jaw as if forcing myself have an under bite, and maybe wiggle it a bit. Pop! Cleared! Very good method.

don Francisco:
It isn't how you equalize, but when. While looking up tends to stretch the euatachian tubes as Net doc said, every diver has his own personal voodoo spin that works for him. So experiment until you find your own secret formula.

Meanwhile the problem that most divers have is that they wait too long. Once there's a pressure differential corresponding to about 6 to 9' feet of depth clearing becomes extremely difficult, if not impossible.

Imagine drinking a very thick milk shake through a straw. (If it's been a long time since you were a kid, go out and buy one) You suck gently and get a drink, no problem. Get a bit greedy and suck too hard and the bottom of the straw clogs, then the outside pressure collapses the straw. From here on the harder you draw the worse it gets. As any experienced kid can tell you, the secret is to blow down, clearing the bottom of the straw then suck gently.

Same for clearing your ears; if the pressure differential is small they'll clear fairly easily with any number of techniques, but descend too far and the external pressure flattens the eustachian tubes leading to rough or no clearing. Go up to reduce the pressure differential and the tubes will open again.

The simple secret is clear fast and descend slow. If you can't clear fast enough, descend slower.

All very true...and GREAT analogy!!!

You may want to consider watching this video:

Doc's Diving Medicine Home Page

I hope it helps.

I did eventually go to see Dr Kay because I had problems in equalizing my ears during pool sessions to the point that I had to drop out from the class. I discovered then that my ear canals were full of exostoses! (bone formations that grow when the canal is in contact with cold water). These formations do not interfere with equalization, though. What I did wrong was to wait too long before equalizing and not doing it enough.

All the best

Last edited:
I equalize with my head in its normal position. The thing that I think helps, though, is to equalize at the surface and then on _every_ breath while descending. Works like a charm.

My usual dive bud and I are different in many ways. I never have any problem equalizing but it takes both of us to get him cleared the first few days of a trip. If he does it right, it gets easier; if he bruises his E-tube from forcing, he can get grounded.

NetDoc is right tho; ignore anyone who said it doesn't matter :D as some people do have problems.
Looking "up" will stretch out your Eustachian tubes and allow the equalization process to proceed uninhibited. Looking "down" tends to close them off.

HOWEVER, far more important than this is to equalize EARLY and often. Once you feel pressure on the ears, the Eustachian tubes may be partially occluded. It's best to start your dive by equalizing and then doing it often BEFORE you feel any pain. If, for any reason you feel you have to blow harder: DON'T!!! Ascend a few feet instead and try again. Still no good? Ascend some more and try again. You might make it to the surface and find that you can't equalize there. Blow your nose and get all of the mucous out. If you still can't equalize on the surface, then call your dive. No need for a barotrauma to the ear!
Hear hear! :thumb:
offtopic but Looking up on a nose bleed is a no,no for many years already.
I didn't know that. I learned long ago to use a cold pack on the back of the neck. I cannot find that anywhere on the net, don't know why it works, but it does.
As NETDOC says "look up" it opens air passages ...

This is a good video on clearing your ears: video
Great video...!!
You may want to consider watching this video:

Doc's Diving Medicine Home Page

I hope it helps.

I did eventually go to see Dr Kay because I had problems in equalizing my ears during pool sessions to the point that I had to drop out from the class. I discovered then that my ear canals were full of exostoses! (bone formations that grow when the canal is in contact with cold water). These formations do not interfere with equalization, though. What I did wrong was to wait too long before equalizing and not doing it enough.

All the best
Same one - 45 minutes well spent...!! :eyebrow:

Most people tilt their head down. It's for no good reason. Just your hand is coming from below your head and most people tilt their nose down to meet their hand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom