Equalizing problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manatee Lover

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm new to diving just got cert OW last weekend. It was great.Can't wait to do it again. MY problem is..I flew down on Thursday, Did 2 dives on Friday, snorkeled with the manatees Saturday morning, did my last 2 dives Saturday around lunchtime and flew home on Sunday afternnoon. During my 2nd dives on both Fri & Sat I had alot of difficulty with equalization but not on the first dives on both days. I came home with a raging ear infection. I do not believe I had this prior to diving , felt fime until Sunday morning.Dont know if equalizing problems caused the ear infection, , or flying or snorkeling or what. Just wondering if Im going to have problems on second dives all the time. I know Im rambling but just a little concerned that this going to be a problem whenever I dive. Anyone have any comments, they would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Colleen:)

you won't always have problems like this. Just speculating that you may have developed some inflammation which resulted in the difficulties with clearing. Maybe you over pressurized your ears a bit or forced fluids through the Eustachian tubes while equalizing.

Make sure you are clearing early and often and descend slowly enough to allow you to equalize easily.

There are several threads about equalizing problems on the boards so you may find more info if you do a search. If you do continue to have problems with equalization then it may be wise to consult an ENT doctor or a FAA flight surgeon.

I went to Belize last summer, survived a month in the jungle, survived diving for a week with no major incidents and came with an ear infection. Mine didn't show up until I was on the plane, I didn't have any problems equalizing the whole trip.

Looking way back into my past, I was very susceptible to ear infections when I was a kid, don't know if the same is true for you, but before I do another dive vacation, I will be looking at ways of minimizing the risk of a recurrence.

Rachel

I'm with JBD on this one. I think you had an infection prior to your dives, and it progressed to the point of causing you problems later in the dives. Your confirmation of the infection afterwards just cements this thought.

I practice clearing my ears almost every time I drive my car. I just got into the habit of doing it, and it seems to alleviate any potential clearing issues that I might have had. I've only had to call one dive, and that was because of a raging sinus infection that I had. I should not have even attempted it at the time.

BTW, congrats on your OW certification, and welcome to the board!

I'm an intermediate diver and by no means an expert but use to have equalization problems. Someone told me to start clearing earlier BEFORE descending on every dive as soon as entering the water and this seemed to help me tremendously. Seems like once you get the ears open the first time, they are much easier to clear after that, especially at depth. I haven't had nearly as much trouble since I started doing this. May not work as well for you, everybody's different, it may do the trick!

When my husband starts to get chilled his ears don't clear as easily. This can happen on the second dive of the day or even late in the first dive if we ascend a little then try to descend again after he's gotten a little cold.

Have you tried using a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and rubbing alcohol or any of the other similar mixes people mention elsewhere on the board? The alcohol helps dry your ears while the vinegar changes the ph in your ear if you leave it in for at least 5 minutes. Changing the ph makes it a little harder for the organisms in the water to make their home in your ear. Personally I've used this solution to stop an ear-ache once I noticed it starting to hurt.

Just my .02
Ber :bunny:

When I was diving the CENOTES in Mexico (cave dive), I used vinegar after my cave dive to get out a possible ear infection, and trust me it really works. You can find others solutions in your favorite dive shop, but they are a little bit expensive than vinegar, but are better solutions, of course! Take care!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom