Equipment Advice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2O Photo Pros

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I will be taking the Performance Freediving clinic in February and wanted to get some recommendations for good fins. I have weak knees due to previous sports injuries so that must be taken into consideration as well.

I appreciate all comments/suggestions. Thank you!

hello mike,
I own a ton of different fins.. for abuse you can't beat the plastic composites like the cressi gara's but for easy on the knees... I don't think there is anything better than the carbon fiber fins, ohh but the $$$. Plus, the carbon fibers are actually a more efficient fin. There are differences in the carbon fiber fins as far as rigidity.. my particular fin is the sporasub pure carbon.

I don't know if going to a mono would be good on the knees.. and I can't tell you what a carbon fiber mono would be like as I don't have one.. ouch $$$$$. But do have several composite monos..

Thank you. What carbon fins would you suggest I like at? Can you recommend a few options for me to check out??

for carbon.. I'm so outta the loop lately.. maybe do a search for C4 falcon fin.. the 30's are softer than the 40's, etc.., I know a lot of people very happy with their C4's. And a search for the C4's will turn up all kinds of talk on carbon fins..

but here, on doing a bit of homework today.. these sure look interesting to me, although not carbon: APNEA » Pinne a scarpetta » Gara Professional

I really like the comfort of my gara fins and all the abuse they take.. but I know the 2000's that I have seem to perform differently in colder vs. warmer water.

I almost don't envy you having to make a fin choice.. there are just so many.

But still.. for ease on the knees.. I'd say carbon

I agree that carbon fiber fins would be best for the class and best for your knees. You will pay for them though. I use C4 Falcon carbon fiber fins and they are my fins of choice when diving deep like you will be doing in your PFI class. They have rails on the side which will force water to run off the end of the blade, as opposed to the sides, which contributes to a lot of forward thrust. With the effecient carbon blades and the side rails they will get you deep quick. They come in different stiffness’s and you would probably want the 30’s. They are a popular choice among professional freedivers too. If you have the choice you would want the Sporasub foot pockets over the Omer foot pockets for these fins.

While the C4’s are outstanding fins I prefer the Cressi Gara 2000 HF’s when in shallow water. The Cressi’s do not have rails and I feel much more maneuverable with them. For example, if you are swimming along and decide to suddenly stop and/or make a 90 degree turn, I find the Cressi’s to be better suited for this than the C4’s. The carbon blades can be broken if you are not careful with them as can the side rails. The Cressi Gara’s are almost indestructible… as holdingmybreath indicated.

For me, I really like having two sets of freediving fins and I would hate to part with either one. They both have their advantages. If I had to choose just one pair it would be a tough call but I might go with the Cressi’s because you can still dive deep with them and they are rugged and maneuverable.
-Chris

Holdingmybreath,
Is that you freediving through the ice in your photo gallery?
I will have to remember that picture next time I complain about the water being cold down here in the winter :D

yes. you shouldn't complain about the water being cold... the ice was only about a foot thick that day.. the chain saw I had was just long enough.

Mike - Aharon Solomons got me hooked up with glass composite blades that are the shiznit.

They are made by Waterway - I went with the #2 blades - They range from #1 (soft) to #5 (Extra stiff). Sounds like either the #1 or #2's will do ya right. I got the blades only and fitted them to my Picasso foot pockets since Picasso's fit my feet the best and they are the stiffest foot pocket out there (best transference of energy per kick)

If you can afford Carbon, try to find a company that makes them in various stiffness (Falcon I believe), but I have been very happy with the Waterways - and the price was half of Carbon and they are more durable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom