Equipment Air and Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Xterra

Contributor
Reaction score
Just got a new BCD, Cressi Travel Light for my trips.
Since I sometimes dive Nitrox after reading the manual of the BCD its confusing.
Never heard of that one can not use their equipment alternating between Nitrox and Air especially for recreational up to 40%. Whats up with that statement from Cressi?

LIMITS OF USE AND DURATION:
5 - The BCD described in this manual must not be used alternating between regulators loaded with Nitrox and regulators loaded with Air. It must be exclusively used with only one type of gaseous mixture throughout its entire service life.

That makes no sense. May want to call Cressi for additional info.

You’ll probably just have to use EANx21 instead of Air. Be sure to ask for a discount since it’s such a lean nitrox mix. It’s cheaper to make than the more common EANx32.

If the excess silicone from my EAN21 reg set mixes with the cristo from my 32 reg set, will the inflator catch fire though?

Already sent an email to Cressi asking for clarification. I call it BS though
Mares has a better statement in their manual:
This product was designed for use with air or with Nitrox up to a maximum of 40% oxygen. The use of mixes with oxygen concentrations higher than 40% and/or the addition of helium can cause damage or deterioration and compromise the proper functioning of the BC.

If the excess silicone from my EAN21 reg set mixes with the cristo from my 32 reg set, will the inflator catch fire though?

Not unless it is submerged in extremely warm water. Although the coefficient of friction in your power inflator may drop a bit, it should not ignite.

Not unless it is submerged in extremely warm water.

Okay, maybe I am a bit touched today but this made me laugh too much. We talk about drysuits for cold water diving. Now I wanna hear stories about "cold" suits for diving in hot springs!!

"Back in nineteen ought thirty eight, Jimmy Thurnberry made the first decent into Grand Prismatic Spring, Yellowstone. Switching from his usual argon bottle to a liquid nitrogen bottle, he was able to dive his drysuit to a depth of 65 feet before his inflator burst into flames. Upon reaching the surface........."

Already sent an email to Cressi asking for clarification. I call it BS though
Mares has a better statement in their manual:
This product was designed for use with air or with Nitrox up to a maximum of 40% oxygen. The use of mixes with oxygen concentrations higher than 40% and/or the addition of helium can cause damage or deterioration and compromise the proper functioning of the BC.

Did you really send a message to Cressi? Curious to see how they respond.

Response from Cressi (Names removed):
Hi, this is dealing with people who use higher levels of O2, outside of the standard 32-36% nitrox
It doesn`t matter what mix you inflate the BCD with. How that got into the manual I don`t know but please disregard. If you have any more questions let me know.

Thanks,

Technical Services

Cressi USA

3 Rosol Lane

Saddle Brook, NJ 07663

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom