Equipment comments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have had to buy a new BC because I based my purchase decision on online research and price only, without trying out the equipment I was considering. Does your LDS have a program that allows you to apply the cost of rentals to an eventual purchase? This can take the sting out of trying out a number of different models.

jbd once bubbled...

If its feasible, I would suggest renting or at least trying the different types of BC before committing to a purchase.

Thanks for all the advice.

Not sure about the Hub, the thought of having the Octo in a pocket seems a little strange and as a newbie, don't think I need the additional flack on dive boats wearing one (sure some divers must have strong opinions on the Hubs)

My LDS only stcks Cressi and Scubapro BC but I will hunt out other fairly local ones and see what else is out there although not sure how successful I will be about trials in the water, will wait and see.

Once again, thanks and I will continue to monitor the board for all the useful advice it offers.

raviepoo once bubbled...
I have had to buy a new BC because I based my purchase decision on online research and price only, without trying out the equipment I was considering. Does your LDS have a program that allows you to apply the cost of rentals to an eventual purchase? This can take the sting out of trying out a number of different models.

I am in the process of researching equipment to buy. One frustration I am seeing is that both LDS in my area do not allow you to try (or rent) any of the equipment other than there limited models of rental/class gear. All you can do is look at it in the store, hold it in your hands, or try it on (like BCs, masks and snorkels). But then they expect you to hand them $2000 for a full set of gear and hope that you like it.

So I am finding the info on these posts to be my only guidance in making a decision. Not the way I usually like to operate but it seems I have no choices here.

And to make it worse, they both charge list price with a little bit of a discount if you buy a whole package from them. Buying online is cheaper, but I am looking at Seaquest and Scubapro and they both warn that if you buy online, the warranty is void.

My next course of action is to drive to the next closest city (there is a big one an hour away) to see what they do there. Hopefully I will find an LDS that is more customer service oriented?

This board is amazing to hear what everyone feels about all different gear setups. I have been diving for a few years, took the last two years and returned and bought a Zeagle Ranger BCD. I picked mine up for 345 and love it. Back inflation takes some getting used, but the Ranger has trim weights that attach close to the tank strap that balances it out. People either love back inflation or hate it. The reason I got back into diving is because my girlfriend wanted to dive so I go her certified. She decided to go with the Ranger BCD also, (* remember she is a new diver *) and loves her Ranger. Good Luck

Whichever regs you buy, I would purchase two of the same. If you ever get into servicing your regs, you will have the same parts and manuals.

BTW, the Apeks is a whole lot easier to service and the Scubapro-a LOT less o-rings, less complex.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom