Equipment failure management

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Try Doppler's book...

Thanks for the PROMO! LOL

The OP wrote he(?) is reading Mark's book (Deco for Divers). Great read and a fantastic primer on the nuts and bolts of ascent behavior. The Six Skills is more about the mindset and physiological prep for advanced diving... but I believe the OP would get something useful from it, and there is a whole chapter on emotional control, which is directly related to bits of gear packing up early and going home.

Last edited:
Sure, but how would you advise a stranger on the internet who hasn't even posted his location? I can think of two or three who I would recommend for an OW-style class that would do a decent job of covering equipment failure. But I suspect they're nowhere near where the OP is.

Point well taken. I just don't feel that a technical class is always the answer. My argument would be to assess what your goals are in diving, then train based upon those goals. I believe that the OP stated he felt he was heading in a GUE direction, so taking a fundamentals class very well might be the logical move for him. I just don't feel that technical training is a blanket answer to any questions that are posed. Now we should probably quit hijacking this thread. :D

Kristopher

I recommend SDI's Solo Diver manual, for a good description of all those issues.

Hi to all,

i'm searching a book that explain possible equipment failure and how to manage them. Correct procedure pre, during and post dive to do can also be a good thing if present.
Does it exist???
Someone can suggest one?

Thanks

Try this book Scientific Method – Applications In Failure Investigation And Forensic Science. It's a very nice book, and I am sure it might help you also.

Thanks to all.
I read all the posts and I'll try 'to better explain the reason for my research.
Certainly the theoretical basis should be explained in all courses both recreational and technical concern, especially if it is certain aspects of security from this point of view I do not think there is a difference between recreational and technical course such as everyone should know how to breathe in octopus method or a properly weighted.
the problem is the mentality with which certain things are done there are a thousand ways to do the same thing but not all are correct, the task of the instructor is to teach them right ways, but the task of the student is to learn and practice them. Sometimes there are no bad instructors only bad students. Scuba diving is a beatiful activity but not like go running in the park, the great reliability of the equipment may think it is a simple activity but should not be overlooked that there are many aspects risky.
DAN tables is an example showing the differences on the implementation of safety stops, how many know them? There are still people who say they are so unnecessary!
Said that, I think we need to investigate every aspect of the dive, each course is only a starting point.

Other activities that require risk management (such as aviation) study accident reports to determine causes and to keep such events from occuring again.

Might I suggest reading the DAN Accident reports? They will give you a feel for what has gone wrong for divers. You can then think about how to prevent them from happening to you. They are free PDF file downloads for DAN members.

Also, the Accidents and Incidents Forum here on Scubaboard will give you an idea what can go wrong and how to prevent it.

The Aviation Safety Letter, published quarterly by Transport Canada, has for many years had a neat quote on the cover:

"Learn fron the mistakes of others; you'll not live long enough to make them all yourself..."

Hope this helps.

jm:
Other activities that require risk management (such as aviation) study accident reports to determine causes and to keep such events from occuring again.

Might I suggest reading the DAN Accident reports?
Also, the Accidents and Incidents Forum here on Scubaboard will give you an idea what can go wrong and how to prevent it.

"Learn fron the mistakes of others; you'll not live long enough to make them all yourself..."

JM sage advice. I'm in aviation and I have to agree read as much about other's experiences to learn how recognise, diagnose and execute a survival stratagy.

Blender I like you went on a similar quest a little while ago. I now frequent the cave diving/tech area's you'll glean lots of good stuff here.

The book Diver Down looks at about 30 case studies of diver fatalities. Excellent intro because it discusses the most regular failure types/modes, how they were handled or mishandled. Aimed at the intro level diver. But it will highlight what failures to expect, why etc. Get it from ABE books or Amazon online.

In aviation pilots on larger aircraft have a systems knowledge that is encyclopedic, truly amazing. This is because when they have a failure the can anticipate what will go wrong (or possibly go wrong). If it was your car the would know every nut and bolt, it's effect and all electrical looms etc. OK MY POINT. Learns much about your gear as possible. Regulators and breathing systems. To this end Vance Harlow's SCUBA Regulator Maintenance and Repair$25 of the best dollars I ever spent, buy it online from Airspeed press. If you didn't know how your gear worked and failed,and how to fix it you will after reading his manual.

I would recommend the GUE manuals as well having read some of them. I don't dive DIR (I like the concept) but I would also do some research on DIR diving and hang in the tech forms, it won't be wasted.

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom