Equipment for Solo Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kf6cxf:
i use drager dolphin with ean .40 mix w/bailout bottle and a 40ft3 redundant, drysuit,whistle,knife and a 50lbs lift when doing solo dives.

So you have 2 bailout bottles?

When I go solo, which is fairly often, I'll either dive my HP80 doubles or go with a single tank and a 13 sling.

I generally stay above 30' and go solo mainly to practice skills such as bag deployment, reel work, stops, etc. I find I do like the convience of being on my own schedule, doing what I want to do, etc.

Most of my dives would count as solo in depths of 80 to 130 ft.
back gas is double lp 98s or 112s w/ isolation manifold. Anything deeper than 110 add 30 cuft O2 but that has nothing to do w/solo. Two knives, one strapped to inner thigh other folding one in waist pocket. Shears in waist pocket. Jon line, signal mirror, and slate. 10w HID w/canister attached to BP, and UK SL4 attached to shoulder strap. 150lb lift bag, reel, goodie bag.
Now the real overkill, three computers, and Citizen Hyperaquland watch. (watch is the only one I have the download hardware for).
DUI CF200 dry suit. I use Poseiden Odin regs and SPG on both (so can switch to independent tanks w/o hassel)

kf6cxf:
yup :) using the bailout bottle for my drysuit and bc inflator.
Does your Dolphin have the zeagle or the ap valves bcd? The ap valves does not seem to have very good attachment points for a 40cuft.
Do you have an inflation whip on your second bailout?

A question for those diving a single (with ANY type of valve) ... I use an H-valve on my singles.

CAN YOU REACH THE VALVE AND SHUT IT DOWN IF NECESSARY?

I use manifolded doubles, (AL80's or Steel 120's).

If I don't have access to my double sets due to traveling, I will carry another bottle slung as a stage.

I carry two cutting tools and two lights also.

stingray1:
Also, thought about the extra mask and may do so when I upgrade :

I've thought about a spare mask but just don't want to add the clutter unnecessarily. I guess if you are not comfortable without a mask, you really should carry a spare regardless of whether you are solo or buddied (unless maybe your buddy will share his). So I've been working on a more compact alternative monocle design using a single lense from a pair of swimming goggles and a tube to allow clearing. I'll let you know when I think I have a working prototype. Biggest problem so far is getting my wife/buddy to stop laughing at my failures.

awap:
I've thought about a spare mask but just don't want to add the clutter unnecessarily. I guess if you are not comfortable without a mask, you really should carry a spare regardless of whether you are solo or buddied (unless maybe your buddy will share his). So I've been working on a more compact alternative monocle design using a single lense from a pair of swimming goggles and a tube to allow clearing. I'll let you know when I think I have a working prototype. Biggest problem so far is getting my wife/buddy to stop laughing at my failures.
When doing deco dives a spare mask is quite important because you need to see gauges to get back safely. An older ACUC instructor told me they used to teach OW students how to cup an air pocket around their eye to allow them to read a gauge without a mask.
I would not like to try that in 42' water but it is suppose to work.

wedivebc:
...cup an air pocket around their eye to allow them to read a gauge without a mask.

I actually had to do this as part of a SLAM rescue course. Granted it was in a pool (15') but it does work... kind of. Let me say this - it will take a lot of work to do and you'll look pretty goofy in the process.

Back
Top Bottom