Equipment questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tracydr

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
North Carolina, 3 miles from South Carolina
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a couple of questions. First, I took my husbands and my regulators in to be serviced. The guy at the shop said there was serious corrosion and that they are now brass on brass without chrome. He said they are still safe but breath hard. Should I get a new regulator? I have never noticed any problem breathing. I bought it used in 1997 and have used it about 6-12 dives a year since. What is the best way to keep this from happening again? I know my first stage has gotten wet a few times, didn't know I needed the dust cover in for the first year or so I owned it. I went back and reread this section in my book but it was pretty brief and didn't go into many details on regulator care.

Second question, going to Hawaii this weekend. I have always wanted to spear fish. Can I do this there and do you have anyone to recommend to go through for a boat trip? I will be on Oahu for 5 days, than the Big Island for 9 days.
Also, what do I need wetsuit wize this time of year?

Third question, I have lost weight and the BC I just bought is now a little big, mainly where you tighten the shoulders. I had someone add some extra velcro on the waist band so that is OK. How will having a BC a little loose in the arms affect me. I really don't want to have to replace it, I haven't used it yet but bought it used so it's not returnable.

Hi, I Know a couple who just left for Hawaii, They said the water would be about 76f . He took a Bare 3/2 fullsuit, She took a Bare 5/3 fullsuit. I don't know if that would work for you, but it's what they thought they needed.
I hope this helps. Tavi

Hello Tracydr, welcome to the boards! Now for your questions... If it's the technitions professional opinion that you need a new regulator, than I would certainly do it. The last thing you need is to take any chances with your life. Just out of curiosity, what kind of reg was it? Also make sure they aren't just trying to sell you one for the sake of making a sale...

Remember to always have the dust cover on the regulator when not in use. It's best to try to rinse off the 1st stage while it's still pressurized if at all possible. If not then be super careful. Avoid pressing the 2nd stage reg's purge button when it's not pressurized. Basically you just need to avoid water from making it's way into the 1st stage, and you should have a regulator last you many many years.

Thanks! The exact words of the Scuba shop guy were that they were within specs and safe but that they don't breathe as smooth as new or they "breathe hard". I think I will get a new regulator for my husband since he gets a little anxious and is not as good at breathing as he should be. It seems I can go all day on a tank and never have breathing problems so I'm just going to stick with my old one for now. I am so glad you mentioned the part about rinsing the 1st stage while still pressurized if possible because no one has ever told me that. I think the way I was originally taught to rinse a regulator was all wrong and I was given some bad advice. But I have since learned to keep the dust cover on and not press the purge button. Better late than never!! At least the regulators are still useable, despite the abuse I have given them. I honestly don't know what brand they are. We have 3 and one is a Sherwood (?) and don't know what the other one is. They were purchased used 3-5 years ago and the one was found, left on the beach.

As far as Hawaii wet suits, sounds like about the same temp as Cozumel in December if I remember right. I will take what worked there. I wore 3 mm bottom with no top and my husband wore a 3mm shorty. Thanks for all the great advice!!!

Hiya Tracydr,
I'm concerned at the term "breathes Hard".I have never heard that used as a technical term in regulator servicing before and am a little baffled by it.To get brass on brass means as the others have said is to get the reg wet and that there's green corrosive crap all over the regs bits and this eats away the chrome coating.The reg still should work and you should be able to get replacement parts for the key ares but if your husband is anxious over this then by all means get a new one as the mental aspect is vital in the control of our breathing.If the technician stated that it breathes hard then I would think it more likely that they didn't replace the necessary parts or they didn't clean it properly.The build up of corrosion can cause certain parts to stick but these should be cleaned in a service.They charge about N.Z.$100.00 dollars for a reg service and clean here but at my local shop I know they do a good job having used them for 16yrs.I'd advise you to form a close friendly relationship with the staff of a shop that suits your tastes and where the staff will show you around and happily discuss what's going on without using terms such as "breathing hard" which in my opinion just doesn't cut the mustard.Keep on bubbling!
Haere Ra from the gasman

This is a term I have heard quite a few times. It is very difficult to explain, but the best description is to compare the breathing performance of an old sherwood Brut, with a modern Apeks TX100, or top of the range Scubapro.

The sherwood you have to SUCK to open all the valves insive, and then you get air, although the airflow is not particularly smooth or comfortable. The Apeks or Scubapro will require much less of a suck, but after the flow has started, you get a much smoother airflow.

Breathing hard is a bit of an overall performance term. It covers a bit of both cracking force, and breathing resistance.

If one was found left on the beach you never know what got inside it. Probably nice corrosive sea water. If you used it without servicing beforehand, then you are really lucky not to have had a problem with it.

Jon T

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom