Equipment to bring on Cruise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubatwinned:
I have never been on a cruise ship, so my question is, do they not have secure rooms to dry stuff for passengers who are diving? I might not leave all my stuff in there but to keep some out of wifes hair is that an option? Although from the rest of the replies it should not be a problem. Take your own gear!!!!

No, they do not have anything even close to a secure trying room on cruise ships. If you want to dry your stuff and keep it out of the way, get a balcony cabin.

I've been on two diving cruises. We had 3 divers in an interior stateroom on a Carnival ship last week. It was the Ecstasy out of Galveston. (Carnival's staterooms are about 50% larger than NCL). There are lots of pegs, racks, hangers, etc. in the room. You will figure out a way to hang RINSED gear. If you don't rinse it well, your room will get funky. Don't take a shower with your swimsuit or wetsuit on, however, in order to rinse them. If there are sea lice in your attire, you will activate it's venom while scrubbing. Wash them separately from your body.

We also bought a wetsuit dryer on Ebay, it was very useful and we managed to use it in our NCL stateroom when it was just my husband and myself. We didn't try to fit it in with our daughter in the room on the Carnival ship, however. A handy option for us on this last trip was that the first day we dove in Cozumel. The next day we rode the ferry back to Coz from Playa del Carmen. The dive op (Aqua Safari) kept our gear overnight, so we didn't have any gear to lug back and forth (or store in our staterooms)until the last dive. I did keep my reg with me, however. (I'm passionate about my reg, lol.)

I reiterate the statements by others regarding the sanitary issues of sharing mouthpieces, wetsuits, etc. with unknown persons and the issue of unknown cleaning methods. Ewww. Scuba gear is just too intimate to share unless there is no other way. Too many bodily functions occuring while diving. (That oughta convince her if nothing else does!)

Foo

Did NCL out of Puerto Rico last May. We had an outside cabin so gear was not much of a problem. I have a very large barrel rucksack into which everything fits (Just) as you are carrying it for quite a time between Cabin and Dive boat.
Return from dive, throw all gear in shower, turn on shower, go for coffee, return and hang everything on balcony, - make sure all is tidied up before non diving wife returns from shopping trip. Congratulate wife on all her purchases, (agree enthusiastically about how much money she has saved buying that ring) -
Seriously though we had the lowest grade of cabin with balcony and there was loads of storage.

I was on the Carnical Destiny and had a balcony (would not go any other way now) and there was an extremely large amount of storage. I was pleasantly surprised. 2 people, 2 FULL sets of dive gear, 2 suitcases and a couple backpacks. Everything fit nicely in the stoarge closets and drawers. You can dry your stuff on the blacony or in the bathroom. If you do not have a balcony, I agree with the previous poster that said to just let it sit in teh bag. The initial "cold shock" won't last long!! Just rinse it out well when you get the chance either at a dive op or when you get home.

Great news, Wife agreed to let me take ALL my gear. I will have to keep it tidy and not block the shower all the time. Taking the gear in a duffel (36") and a mesh bag to take while diving. I will pack everything except my reg/spg which I will carry on. I don't take any chances with my reg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom