Equipment to buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matt96

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have always dove using rental equipment and now want my own. Problem for me is everyone will sell whatever my credit card will bear without independant analyisis and advice on what is best. I want the best equipment the first time. I have a Scubapro MK 25 regulator and a Scubapro BC (not sure of the model). What is best? Water temps here in southern Australia are about 60f, or about 18c. I will be diving in mostly sub-tropical and tropical waters, but do not get cold, so cold water diving is also a good possibility. Any advice to move forward?

Sounds like you have a good start with the ScubaPro gear you have. If you're asking about wetsuits, that is really a matter of taste. I have enverything from a 1mm skin to a coupld of 7mm suits. I find my standard wetsuit setup is a 5mm Bare suit with a 5mm Bare jacket. That gets me through pretty much anything, especially if I bring along a hood and gloves. If you are in relatively cool waters, then you have 10mm plus hood and if you are in warmer waters, the 5mm is a reasonable compromise for a lot of diving.

I can only remember one time, in the Sea of Cortez, that I wished I had brought a 3mm or even just a skin along. I never used the jacket and the 5mm was just more than I needed.

You said you don't get cold --and many newly certified divers feel that way. But if you are divng repetitively for several days, you core temperature is going to start going down and having some suit options is a good idea.

Jeff

Jeff,

Much appreciated, thanks. Any advice on dive computers? Big ticket item and I'd like to purchase this next.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom